A Sheffield Langsett restoration. {Now for sale BTW}

Re:

You're right about the current shop. I"ve had no response to an email and on the phone they were very busy. Understandably because everybody wants a bike yesterday of course...I was pinning my hopes on the author of the definitive book but despite email and a letter no response so far. I am hoping the VCC may have some old catalogues but we'll see...

And I thought I was buying summat from the late 40s! Whatever, i am looking for some chrome plating suppliers. OUCH!

OUCH was right. For 6" of forks, seat stays and chain stays as well as fork crown: £350 - £450 + VAT. Out of the question for me so I have to try and preserve what's left and I believe that's a better way to go with such an old thing. Although I've taken the frame for a "powder blast" paint removal. It's done with very fine aluminium oxide powder so should be as kind as possible to the substrate.

And the blessed man who wrote the book about Langsetts is no longer with us. Although I find the Veteran Cycle Club have a Langsett "marque enthusiast" so I am exploring that too for any info.

Yup, you really need dedication and/or deep pockets to get something chromed. I don't think I've ever noticed an entirely chromed head tube/head lugs before. Was that more common at the time, or were they being a bit fancy, I wonder?

Anyway, I do look forward to seeing this when it's done - well, and the process too. It's going to be a long one!

Re:

I think I may have mentioned a bit earlier that you could have an all chrome frame from Langsett for 10/-. Ten bob or 50p!
As I understand it these days the chroming process can be very environmentally damaging and thus the precautions needed and the kit required are very expensive. I suppose that's progress....and why all the chrome on cars and such like is plastic! Not much good for bike forks.

The bike has Bluemels "No Weight" mudguards. The bits that are riveted to the guards (I don't know what they're called) where the stays attach, are as rusty as anything I've seen. I'd like to replace them if I can find spares. I'm happy to rivet or bolt on new ones. Anyone know 1) what they're called and 2)are they available anywhere? Pics attached. If no luck here I'll post to the wanted ads.

I guess I could buy a cheapo pair and remove them?

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• noweight 1.JPG
    noweight 1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • no weight 2.JPG
    no weight 2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Hi, check out Graces Guide, it's a brilliant resource, you'll see that Bluemels Noweights were made from 1904 and still advertised in 1955! although the shape changed over time
Raleigh Record Aces were fitted with these as standard in the 30s/40s/50s.
I have a set of Bluemels Tuflites which I can't find any information on - nowhere, nohow and never!

https://gracesguide.co.uk/Bluemel_Brothers

Regards
Tony

Back (or should that be black) from the paint shop - wet paint this time. I think the old thing deserved a proper job. There are some decals winging their way here from Steve at hlloydcycles and the painter will clear coat when I've fixed them.

Attachments

• paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 395
  • paint2.jpg
    paint2.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 395
Re:

Thanks Jamie. It is a great job in my opinion too. I have some red/black bands coming that will be useful to "punctuate" the joins, if you know what I mean.

As to who? "Lustre Coatings" here in sleepy Norfolk. If I said they do work for Porsche you'd be able to guess they're pretty good - although I was unaware of that when I took the frame to them!

I'm planning to do lug lining in gold (paint not leaf :LOL: ). Hoping I can do justice to their work...

Back