1963 Carlton Catalina - restoration project - Now complete

Re: 1963 Carlton Catalina - long term restoration project

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-16%20at%2009.45.52_zpsdbhtfylg.png

First shot I have had back form Dave Marsh in Maltby.

Just the head badge, races and forks to go back on.

What a transformation. Looking forward to building this one back up now. Its been a long project.

:shock: WOW! This looks amazing.
Looking forward to seeing this beauty built up.

Jamie

1963 Carlton Catalina (on an L prefix number)

After nearly two years since buying the beaten up frame, the machine is very nearly back on the road. I have a few final details to sort as well as a few minor technical niggles to address. This is my take on the famous mid range machine of the 60s. Only the frame itself was original, sadly a courier lost the original 3/4 chromed front forks, so I have used some 70s Continental ones instead.

The frame has been totally refinished by Catherine Neary at Dave Marsh's Universal Cycle Centre, in Maltby, Yorkshire. What a job they have done. This is a bright red flam complete with a faithful copy of the classic Catalina set tub graphics. Im particularly plese with the way the NOS 70s Bluemels co-ordinate with the seat tube blues. The frame also has its original headstock buckle badge, not a common sight, carefully put back on using original Carlton rivets. The headstock has been painted but the chrome is original - complete with a little bit of patina (well why not!).

Ive re-used a lot of parts from my other 'upgraded' bikes to build this machine, wheels from the Sun Snipe Prestige, rear mech from the Sun CB 10, hoods from the 1960 Flyer etc... I have firmly aimed this bike at the equipment level it might have had in its heyday. It will be kept as a simple 5-speeder. Bargains had for this machine include the NOS B17, sub £50, the NOS Bluemels guards and also the GB Hiduminium stem. Ive reused some barely used Michelin WTs from my current used stock 'store' again too good to waste. The red Carradice zip roll saddle bag was my one exuberant luxury buy in a limited edition red, I cant resist a saddle bag at the best of times, and this sumptuous little beast was too much to resist.

So there we have final adjustments next, a few little clips and trinkets to come, final check over and then a test ride. This will be strictly a dry weather bike - the original 4-dot blocks on the Weinmanns are for slowing down only!!

SPEC:
21.5" frame, Capella lugs and Truwel tubing (can't find a single 531 anywhere). Chrome headset lugs, Nervex BB shell and Cyclo drop outs. 27-1/4" alloy rimmed wheels, Gripfast No1 and No2 wing nuts. 49 tooth SA chainwheel on a traditional Raleigh BB spindle, Huret lever and Alvit rear mech driving a 24 tooth sprocket with a Shimano HS chain. Steel seat post with Brooks B17 saddle. Carlton C nut clamp bolt. Weinmann 730 alloy sidepulls, Weinmann 4-dot salmon blocks with NOS white ribbed cabling. GB Maes bars and Hiduminium stem through a traditional Raleigh/Carlton 1" threaded headset. Weinmann levers with white Carlton hoods. Lyotard pattern pedals with SA toe clips and new Christophe white leather straps. NOS red Bluemels inflator. NOS Blue Bluemels 'Popular' guards complete the look.

P9301721_zpsvjknhmg7.jpg

P9301728_zpsabcchqd3.jpg

P9301731_zpsqpyxjlwh.jpg

P9301732_zpspfxfuamw.jpg

P9301737_zpsvpqtjyph.jpg

P9301738_zpsjhjwxzbi.jpg

P9301740_zpsemwalxo6.jpg

Before:
P9193628_zpseguf0arq.jpg

WOW!
What a spectacular transformation/restoration.
I really have a great like for your machines but this is really special. Great work and another worthy addition to the fleet.
Very well done.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie! It's been an enjoyable one to work on. I need to concentrate on my Corinthian build now.

Re:

Today was able to briefly get out and test the machine...

PA021762_zpsys09pvlm.jpg

PA021763_zpshxelswna.jpg

There is something about the style, simplicity and elegance of Capella lugs which somehow transcend other flashier, complex and ostentatious designs...

PA021767_zps8cyxpkdv.jpg

A really lovely build. I do have a soft spot for Carltons, and you do a lovely job of rebuilding them.

Another stunning rebuild Mike, - very colourful!

Back