1993 MERLIN Titanium retro MTB build-up thread with much Syncros and Ringlé

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Its about time for me to post another build-up thread! So many bikes have arrived. Come and gone over the last 12 months or so when I posted my last build for my personal collection.

2 weeks ago, I took the opportunity to buy a beautiful 1993 MERLIN Titanium. 840 kilometers on the german Autobahn at 35 degrees Celsius was really worth it! At first, it looked hilarious. I knew that from the eBay auction I won it from. But hey! The previous owner (who was the original buyer and first and ever owner of this beauty) was 74 years already. So I guess we all understand his personal build of this bike :) The bike was/is fully equipped with SHIMANO XTR M900 and a mid 90s Chris King (black) which I will keep!

Serial number of the bike is: #9265

I am especially stoked about the Syncros Powerlite forks, that are currently on the way to me and which I managed to buy from a friend for an ok price. Dont know if I am going to use them here in the end. We will see!

Best thing about it! With selling several parts such as the Specialized Titanium fork, the RPM brake levers, the RPM wheelset, etc. I already got half my money back!

Here in this post # 1 will always be the latest picture I have of this build updated regularly! The rest, will be documented below.

Cheers! And enjoy

Here are the final specs:

Frame: MERLIN "Titanium"
Production Year: 1993
Size: xxx
Steerer tube: 1" inch
Seatpost diameter: 27.0 with original aluminium shim
Forks: SYNCROS "Powerlite" 1" inch
Stem: SYNCROS Cattleprod 130mm
Handle bar: SYNCROS Hardcore 580mm
Seat post: SYNCROS 27.0mm
Saddle: 1993 Flite Titanium
Headset: 1993 Chris King nologo
Grips: ODI Attack
Shifters: SHIMANO XTR M900 series
Cable Housings: SHIMANO XTR series + original end-caps
Cables: Stanless steel black teflon coated
Cantilever hangers: Onza "Chill Pills"
Bottle cage: Ringle H2O purple
Water bottle: SYNCROS mid 90s
Skewers front & back: Ringle TiStix purple
Skewer saddle: Ringle TiStix purple
Front derailleur: SHIMANO XTR M900 series
Rear derailleur: SHIMANO XTR M900 series
Brakes: SHIMANO XTR M900 series
Brake-Pads: SHIMANO XTR M900 cartridge series (ceramic)
Rims: MAVIC SUP 117 Ceramic
Spokes: DT Swiss stainless steel 1.8mm
Front hub: SYNCROS
Rear hub: SHIMANO XTR M900 series
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke (front & back)
Pedals: SHIMANO PD-M737 + Aluminium tops
Bottom Bracket: SHIMANO BB-UN90 117mm
Crank set: SYNCROS Revolution
Chainrings: SYNCROS 46 / 36 / 26 teeth
Crank screws: SYNCROS "crank o matic"
Chain: SHIMANO XTR / Dura-Ace 8-speed

[update May 1st, 2023 - the very latest (full) picture of the bike]

Finished 1993 MERLIN Ti Titanium Falko Schloetel Germany 28.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 01:

- Taking off all the parts I dont want
- Installing one of my Manitou 2 forks (still to be serviced next week)
- Fitting 2 Ringlé parts just to check some looks
- Reproducing a full sheet of MERLIN Titanium decals (will take some days)

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_05.jpeg

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_06.jpeg

Stored away that evening - in good company :)

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_07.jpeg

Day 02:

- Re-creating the Syncros Logo on the front hub.

For the process, I use my own stencil /debossing Syncros foils and a cheap 25,00 Euros airbrushing gun. Works absolutely perfect. If you need them too, just let me know and PM me. I do sell there here, at eBay (for seat posts, hubs, bull horns) and elsewhere. I do ship worldwide.

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_11.jpeg

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_12.jpeg

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_13.jpeg

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_14.jpeg

1993 Merlin Titanium retro Mountainbike MTB build Falko Schloetel Germany_15.jpeg

Back