1995 Rocky mountain Altitude build thread. Updated July 10th.

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
Updated specs:

Frame: Rocky Mountain Altitude 1995, size 19,5"

Fork: Rock Shock Mag21 "alu stanchions". My preferred visually. I had one.

Headset: Diacompe SAS Headset Black
Stem: Syncros Cattlehead 1-1/8 130mm 0deg Black
Handlebar: Easton Monkey Bar EA70 25.4mm and Syncros 7075 cut to 530mm ( I've both at the moment)
Grips: Ritchey
Barends: None (ATM)

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano M900
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 28.6 top pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XT M737 12-28 8 sp
Chain: Shimano Durace
Cranks: Race Face Turbine Forged gold 170mm
Crank Bolts: FSA QR-01
Chainrings: Raceface 46 and 26, FSA 36
Chainring bolts: Standard Inox
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Turbine RS
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 4Ti Gold/grey

Hub Skewers: Ringle Repro Gold color
Rims: Mavix X222 Nice Xtr M900 color finish
Hubs: Shimano XT Parallax M737 and M738
Nipples: Silver
Spokes: Silver
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Classic (reedition) 1,9in
Tubes: Standard

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore 27,2x330 Black (all original)
Seatpost Binder: Rocky montain gold, original in this frame.

Weight: Still I don't know. 11,5 kg?

Hi everyone from Barcelona. As some of you maybe readed last weeks, in the end I bought a NOS Altitude 1995 20'5" frame at a "nice enough" price. Now I'm waiting for it ( I expect it for friday or so. I have some doubts that some of you may help to solve, because I'm starting to check for stuff to built in:
- I have a nice Syncros hardcore seatpost alu. Do you think it will match well, or it'll look better with a black one?
- About the groupset. I'm thinking in a XTR 1992-95 ( cantilever brakes), or should I go to a 1996 V-brakes version.
- About cranks, I will do my best to find a Race Face set in gold but we'll see, Help welcome.
- About fork, I doubt about a Mag21 gold color or a Mag21 silver color. The perfect one would be a Mag21 SL really gold. But again, difficult.
- For stem I 've clear I want a Cattlehead in black.
At the moment is enough....

1681325743204.jpeg
i3171985086.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely frame, very nice.

I like the Syncros post suggested, I would follow it up with a silver cattlehead though if you go that route or switch to a black Syncros post (always like matching these parts), gold Race Face cranks sound sweet if you can find some (c/w a gold headset). I'm partial to 1st gen (M900) XTR, always nice to make use of those frame brake cable guides compared to leaving them unused, I'm partial to canties as well.

Looking forward to watching your build 👍

Thanks Canubiker. You are right about using the brake cable guides. I will use M900. 1996 one seems too much "modern" for an Steel bike IMO.
Maybe at the moment I will keep the Headset, so I don't find a gold one. Maybe I'll try how it looks like with a silver stem and I decide.
I hope to achieve a nice braking power compared to my Almega 1991 cantilever DX brakes. What a difference with my Hope discs in my daily trail bike!

That is a super nice frame. I'd also go with a black post, and black RF Turbine cranks, gold Mag21 and an early King headset. And although I like M950 XTR M900 is always the coolest. Oh, and don't forget a Flite Ti saddle.

Wow! beautiful frame- In my opinion, it's begging for a Judy XC, If you want to use your silver Syncros then source a silver cattlehead, then find some silver RaceFace LP's. I like your idea for m900's, good call there. I kept the canti's on my 95 Thin air, 1995 Rocky Mountain Thin Air
but I went full m950 on the 96 Vertex (no thread for this one for some reason)

That is a super nice frame. I'd also go with a black post, and black RF Turbine cranks, gold Mag21 and an early King headset. And although I like M950 XTR M900 is always the coolest. Oh, and don't forget a Flite Ti saddle.
Yes, flite is in my other bike. I will try silver first. Xtr m900 cranks will match if i cant find a Race face ones?

For me silver post would be the way. (you see no point askign us lot, we're all different)
Stemp balck or silver, depends how black looks in the end.
Black bars though or some colour.
If you don't mind narrower than normal retro bars, the Ritchey WCS bars in champagne (gold), they have the ends lopped off by default to make them lighter. Not sure if they still used tham in 1995 era.

I'd be very tempted to use my gold On-One Fleegle bars as I do like fleegle bars, modern though :-(

Technically the SL-Ti are 1994 forks, even the normal that year with the Alu-gold stanchions, 1995 onwards was silver silver stanchions, but the 1995 are all gold coloured, 1996+ went the way of Judy with nicklite. you could look for the silver coloured lowers (OEM for some bike companies, or the Quadra colour)
or go for another fork.. (

tyre, wheels, rim colour ?. spoke count.
headset is just a headset, colour match it.

er..
not my bike so will shut up now.

For me silver post would be the way. (you see no point askign us lot, we're all different)
Stemp balck or silver, depends how black looks in the end.
Black bars though or some colour.
If you don't mind narrower than normal retro bars, the Ritchey WCS bars in champagne (gold), they have the ends lopped off by default to make them lighter. Not sure if they still used tham in 1995 era.

I'd be very tempted to use my gold On-One Fleegle bars as I do like fleegle bars, modern though :-(

Technically the SL-Ti are 1994 forks, even the normal that year with the Alu-gold stanchions, 1995 onwards was silver silver stanchions, but the 1995 are all gold coloured, 1996+ went the way of Judy with nicklite. you could look for the silver coloured lowers (OEM for some bike companies, or the Quadra colour)
or go for another fork.. (

tyre, wheels, rim colour ?. spoke count.
headset is just a headset, colour match it.

er..
not my bike so will shut up now.
Please, comment as much as you want. Then its my decision but opinions are welcome. O had a nice gold/gold Mag21 1995 but its hard to find. A full silver can match better with silver syncros stuff, dont you think

I was thinking silver forks to match with the rear stay silver colour of the frame. similar to the edge that year. Like the EDGE seems to look like.
A JUDY might be easier as you could choose later better wone thatn the 95/6 version. Though it did come iwht the nickeltite 1995 Judy XC at the time. Which is gold-ish

Here for all purists, I didn't realise they used Tri-align canti' this year.
1681387076963.png

(for anyone really beady eye and they look in the catalouge, the MAG21s are actually 1994 MAG21 version, you can just see the gold stanchion peeking out, either resprayed, photo edited, who knows)

Back