1988/89 part lugged, part fillet-brazed Raleigh frame

I'd drop the saddle get some high handlebars and have it more like a cruiser.

That would definitely make sense, based on the frame dimensions. Unfortunately, I haven't ever really enjoyed riding in a cruiser position.

I have just bought some hubs for this, though it would be a long time before they arrive. That will give me time to refinish the painted rims I will need to buy to build the hubs onto!

I have a few ideas around the rest of the build, but I'm stuck on what to do with the frame at the moment. Usually, I would take it for powdercoating at Yorvik, but this time that doesn't feel right as it wouldn't show the fillet brazing well and doesn't tend to produce as good fades, from what I have seen. I did look at paint but I can't justify those prices for a frame that is really too small for me.

With spring come renewed signs of life:

Paintstripping April 23.JPG

A couple of hours in the afternoon sun and some more of the most recent paint job is off, including from one leg of the fork.

I'm starting to feel inspired again (or have forgotten how frustrating I found painting) and have a idea formulating for paint. A few more sunny days and most the frame prep should be done.

Having been considering how this will be refinished I ended up with these:

Raleigh Decals.JPG

I often end up prefering the look without decals, but since I believe these are the correct font it would have had I bought them on a whim.

Rims - Batavus by Rodi.JPG

I bought these rims, but I can't live with the white colour (which doubtless means the future direction of the frame paint will perfectly suit white rims.

I am now not finding it easy to get the correct length spokes because of the high flange hubs. I was set on silver spokes, to go with silver hubs and silver rims, but the one place I've found with the correct lengths at afforadable prices has them in black and red.

Black and red spokes with silver rims and hubs? I'm struggling to picture it, but I am not sure it would look good.

You can order spokes in any length (up to those fit for a 36inch wheels) from Dylan at Poetry in Motion. He is based in York but you can pay over the phone and he will post them to you. I’ve previously ordered few lots from him before investing in one of these:
35513198-3FA7-4965-9C12-39EA76C8074B.jpeg
I’d be happy to lend it to you, if you are anywhere near London

You can order spokes in any length (up to those fit for a 36inch wheels) from Dylan at Poetry in Motion. He is based in York but you can pay over the phone and he will post them to you. I’ve previously ordered few lots from him before investing in one of these:
View attachment 743175
I’d be happy to lend it to you, if you are anywhere near London
Thank you. I am not near London, but I am near York so I'll check out what Poetry in Motion have. The more I think about it, the more I think any colour but silver is a bad idea.

Well, I go the spoke lengths I need from Germany, thanks to help from @joglo . After a couple of other delays, I finally started building the wheels today.

I noticed the Gipiemme forks have '95' stamped on the bottom of the canti boss - is this likely to be a year or does it have another meaning?

fork canti boss number.JPG

Latest posts

Back