1988/89 part lugged, part fillet-brazed Raleigh frame

I noticed the Gipiemme forks have '95' stamped on the bottom of the canti boss - is this likely to be a year or does it have another meaning?

I had wondered whether it could be the year because people had said they weren't aware of Raleigh using forks with Gipiemme dropouts on these. However, it's struck me that the fork has the original paintjob which strongly suggests these were original. One boss has 'F' stamped and the other has '95'. I guess those are to indicate they are design for the front/fork and to be 95 mm apart?

Wheels finished. I spent a long time on them as I was using a new book to try to improve my wheelbuilding.

Hubsmith wheels built (1).JPG

I can understand the criticism of rims which slightly compromise function for aesthetics, but the additional complexity also helps me develop my wheelbuilding more.

My current inclination it to build it up now to test different stems and bars for the riding position, but maybe it would be more sensible to refinish the frame first so I don't have to completely go back to square one to do that. I'm planning on refinishing it myself though and I don't currently have a suitable space for that.

Attachments

• Hubsmith wheels built (3).JPG
    Hubsmith wheels built (3).JPG
    622.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Hubsmith wheels built (4).JPG
    Hubsmith wheels built (4).JPG
    833.4 KB · Views: 17
Great job on the wheels - secksy hubs. I've been looking at 2K polyurethane rattle-cans - the Dupont Imron that a lot of 'our' bikes were painted with was, it seems, a 2K polyurethane paint.
Get a respirator and a windless warm day outside and Bob's your uncle. That's my plan for my purple Explosif, if and when I can get a decent colour-match.

I seem to remember Daley Thompson on an Avanti in some mtb magazine test. Cant remember the mag. Has anyone a scan of it?

Great job on the wheels - secksy hubs. I've been looking at 2K polyurethane rattle-cans - the Dupont Imron that a lot of 'our' bikes were painted with was, it seems, a 2K polyurethane paint.
Get a respirator and a windless warm day outside and Bob's your uncle. That's my plan for my purple Explosif, if and when I can get a decent colour-match.

I'll check out those paints and see if I can find an available outside space.

I'm reasonably clear on how I would like it to look. Not a recreation of this, but taking some inspiration:

Raleigh-Ozark-frame-and-forks.jpg

The orange on that looks more like 'hard hat orange' but the original paint in the bottom bracket shell looks very fluorescent orange, very similar to the colours on the White Lightnin'.

I think I have pretty much all the parts I need, especially for my first test of this build. Although I need to try to renovate the Dura-ace shifters if I am to use them. Still no idea about where I will take the frame to try painting it though.

Played around with another potential paint scheme this morning and was pleasantly suprised when I tested a 2.15 rear tyre and found it will probably work, even allowing for the u-brake.

Tyre clearance - frame with 2.15.JPG

Back