1982 Stumpjumper - build thread :)

jlevo

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all, new here but have made a few purchases on the classifieds and wanted to share the project.

I picked up a 1982 Stumpjumper, in an XL(!) and looking to build it up to ride and enjoy. I'm quite sure it's the frame from this listing previously on Retrobike (dealer sticker and common marks) that looks to have unfortunately been broken up to sell.

I've acquired a few parts already:
- M737 crankset (bought from @Le-16, <photo>)
- M737 V brakes and levers (bought from @Vital. <photo> <photo>)
- Specialized quill stem, 1980s, 130mm (eBay)
- Specialized flat bar, think this is 1990s, 560mm (eBay)
- Generic silver 25.4 x 350mm seatpost

Still sourcing
- Wheels - these are the trickiest given the 126 rear spacing. I'm thinking of getting the frame cold set to 135 to help here. In the market for some mtb wheels, silver hub/spokes/rim if anyone has any available.
- Tyres - I was hoping for GravelKing SK 26x2.1 but nowhere seems to have these in tan-wall anymore. Potentially Billy Bonkers instead.
- Mech/shifter - Quite unsure which direction to take here, may go 1x8 M737, maybe 1x10, or perhaps single speed with a Paul Melvin tensioner
- BB - hoping that the LBS can help me with a generic Shimano BBUN300
- Anything else will be generic / stuff I have to hand for now, in an effort to get this rolling soon :)
- In time I'd like to get a small rack on here too.

Keen to hear your thoughts, ideas, and any 'constructive' feedback! 😅

Jamie

Attachments

• UUDCxtp.jpeg
    UUDCxtp.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 44
  • VSaScAj.jpeg
    VSaScAj.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • sx5DKUl.jpeg
    sx5DKUl.jpeg
    996 KB · Views: 50
  • 5JGXhuU.jpeg
    5JGXhuU.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
I like front derrailleurs. 1x... only if your cstays are so short you can´t use a front derrailleur. If it´s so flat that there is no need for a double or triple crank then make it a singlespeed otherwise it´s 3x7 or 3x8.
560mm is a too narrow bar for me.
Those would be my parameters.

@Prodigal Son, I may well go wider on the bar, going to give this one a go first, but yes it's pretty narrow...

I will be starting off single speed too, 42:16. with a gusset squire tensioner.

On the wheels, I'm going with MT60 front, M732 rear on Kinlin rims. I would have liked to find something more retro but I was struggling and these look smart.

Hoping to start putting this together at the weekend!

Nice little project that, personally I'd have to fit a Bull moose bar/stem I think, I saw Planet X were selling one the other day, might be a bit wider than 560mm too. In my opinion these older mtbs do ride better with a wider bar.

Stunning frame that, love the forks too. Sounds like an interesting direction you’re going with this, looking forward to seeing it built up.

Back