Metallic gold Specialized Stumpjumper 1998 nitanium. Query!

Craigmount

Old School Hero
I recently acquired this steel 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper from a local seller, who’d owned it from new. He’d bought it from Dales, long-established bike retailer in Glasgow. The seller explained that these days he’s into road and trail cycling, it wasn’t being used, so it had to go! An 18” frame.
He explained it’s barely been used during his entire ownership and the only thing he’s replaced are the tyres - originals had perished. Also provided the original handbooks and paperwork.

I found the frame number M7IH83738 under the bottom bracket, but don’t know how to decipher it … can anyone throw any light on what the letters and number mean? I’ve checked the original paperwork which indicates Jan 1998.

The rear wheel is a black LX Parallax hub and Shimano LX skewer attached to a Mavic 221 eyelet rim. The front is a silver Specialized Stout hub and Specialized skewer attached to a Mavic 221 non-eyelet rim. So all matching there then!!

Does anyone on RB have a Specialized catalogue or detailed spec for the 1998 Nitanium Stumpjumper that they could post up? I keep getting “warning keep away” messages when I approach Bikepedia!
Would be interesting to compare the official Specialized specification with what was supplied by the retailer Dales back-in-the-day.

Any thoughts or comments or help on the above much appreciated.

1710692508877.jpeg

1710692598659.jpeg

1710692676456.jpeg

1710692749216.jpeg

1710692820321.jpeg

1710692891687.jpeg

1710692969089.jpeg

Does anyone on RB have a Specialized catalogue or detailed spec for the 1998 Nitanium Stumpjumper that they could post up? I keep getting “warning keep away” messages when I approach Bikepedia!
Would be interesting to compare the official Specialized specification with what was supplied by the retailer Dales back-in-the-day.

Any thoughts or comments or help on the above much appreciated.

Quick forum search and most the spec here -

Thanks a lot for the feedback & link slackboy and joepro, appreciated, yeah the seller (1st owner) told me the only change he’d made was the tyres. I asked him about the pedals, and he confirmed the bike was supplied new to him with flat VP pedals (not the Ritchey logic type). Perhaps Dales offered him the option of one or t’other.
Any thoughts on the frame number, and how to decipher it? Wondering if one of the 8’s refers to the model year of 1998.?

frame number M7IH83738, no idea. Whilst my nitanium rockhopper is a 1996 model I’m sure.

Back