which forks for Stumpjumper M2 95 build?

charcoalchef

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys, I'm fairly new on here and looking for advice on building up a Stumpjumper M2 1995 frame.

I've built up plenty of bikes before but I'm not as up on retro sympathetic components as you lot clearly are! First issue I need help with are the forks; which forks do you think would be best for this build?

I'm not concerned with building her up true to original spec, in fact when it comes to the fork, I'm thinking something a little bit later might be better. I'm even considering whether getting a new rekon silver coil fork might be a good option to consider.....would this perform better than a 20year old Judy or Bomber or Manitou?

There is a decent looking Manitou magnum r fork for sale on eBay with a steerer long enough, What do you lot think about that fork? Is it fairly simple to strip down and maintain? I've read reports that say it can be on the soft side.

The bike will be used for light cross country riding at the most, and I'm about 90 kg, maybe less these days. I've got other, newer (more boring looking) bikes, I just want her for nostalgia, you probably get this!

Any advice would be warmly welcome

Plenty of options, but I usually choose between what looks the best or what works the best - sadly not always the same thing! Plus right colours can make or break the look, otherwise don't go too modern, these are classic bikes now and deserve sympathetic rebuilds these days...

I'm sure you've seen this link already... ;)
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

charcoalchef":2mmt7emq said:
Hi Guys, I'm fairly new on here and looking for advice on building up a Stumpjumper M2 1995 frame.

I've built up plenty of bikes before but I'm not as up on retro sympathetic components as you lot clearly are! First issue I need help with are the forks; which forks do you think would be best for this build?

I'm not concerned with building her up true to original spec, in fact when it comes to the fork, I'm thinking something a little bit later might be better. I'm even considering whether getting a new rekon silver coil fork might be a good option to consider.....would this perform better than a 20year old Judy or Bomber or Manitou?

There is a decent looking Manitou magnum r fork for sale on eBay with a steerer long enough, What do you lot think about that fork? Is it fairly simple to strip down and maintain? I've read reports that say it can be on the soft side.

The bike will be used for light cross country riding at the most, and I'm about 90 kg, maybe less these days. I've got other, newer (more boring looking) bikes, I just want her for nostalgia, you probably get this!

Any advice would be warmly welcome

Latest posts

Back