Looking for fork help/advice.

mozdog

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, i'm fairly new to modifying bikes and I've just bought this 97/98(?) Specialized Rockhopper FS but want to put some rigid forks and more comfortable bars so I wanted to come here first and make sure I know what to buy and do so I don't mess it up and/or waste loads of money.

From what I gather, I'll need a set of threadless 1 1/8th forks like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266717644938

For handlebars I want to put on some Wald 828 / 898 (these are the same bar just in different width) but I'm not entirely sure how to tell which one I need and if I'll need a new stem also.

Not sure how easy it is to assist me without actually seeing the bike or having certain measurements to hand but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 36
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yup

you will need a threadless fork with a 1 1/8th diameter and enough steerer to fit your headtube, looking at the bike in the picture I would guess the specialized is a 19" with quite alot of stack height.

Bars "should" fit assuming they are 25.4

Great bike for a start 😎, I'd change the bars first, you may need to adjust the stem length/height/rise for comfort and feel. Ride it and see how it feels. Then change the forks, Project 2"s are are a great fork and come up regularly. If the bike bike handles OK then stick with a later, I think 420mm? Axle to crown length. If you want to quicken the steering then find an older 390mm... Ish? Fork.
A longer stem usually slows the steering but considering the bars chosen it would be the further your hands are fore/aft from the headset then slower steering, closer to the headset axis then quicker steering.
Look forward to seeing more pictures!

Hiya, yeah you're going to need threadless 1-1/8th forks for 26" wheels. I would suggest removing the existing forks and measuring the length of the steerer tube on them to determine what steerer tube length you need on your new forks. In terms of bars, the clamp diameter on your existing stem is likely to be 25.4mm so if running either of the Wald bars you'd need to buy an appropriate two part handlebar shim (22mm to 25.4mm for example), or like you say a different stem with the right clamp size. Have fun! 😃

the bars that are on there look like 31.8mm carbon bars to me (obviously not original). shorten the stem and go with a more traditional mtb bar with a bit more rise and you'll be fine, going to a set of walds like that will put you on your arse to much and it'll be far less comfy.

Don't forget to save the crown race when you remove the old fork.
They are generally not interchangeable so it's part of the headset.
We see a lot of people fit a replacement fork either without a race at all, or just leaving the mismatched race on there.
Some of them then ride hundreds of miles🤣. It can damage the fork, the headset, and/or the rider!

Agreed, sorry didn't zoom in but like bikeworkshop said, they definitely look like 31.8mm bars rather than earlier 25.4 and a change in stem would be needed.

Those spesh were a really nice usable bike. Ritchey logic tubes iirc (at the time we thought it was tange, sounded identical), standard fittings throughout - the Universal Nineties Bicycle 👍

I have a pair of forks that might be ok for that depending on your steerer length (Not Project 2's though).

Black Cro-Mo Spinner, 210mm Steerer, 1 ⅛ Threadless and they're off a 97 bike.

I'll chuck a picture up if need be.

Be mindful of your axle-to-crown length ("AC length"). At some point they started "correcting" the bikes geometry to allow for suspension forks ... it's not totally clear to me that they were doing that during the era of 60mm suspension forks so you're probably going to be shopping for "non-suspension corrected" forks with an AC length of 395-425mm or so. Personally I'd shoot for the higher end of that range for off-road, although the lower end of that range should be OK for street and bike path

ETA if you go to the Stridsland website there's a good discussion of the design philosophy for his fork. Which I would love to have, it's a little expensive but strikes me as a good investment

Iirc I had a Spesh fork off a Y2k bike that was 405mm.. darn nice handling bike, that's probably your sweet spot

Last edited:
Back