Forks for my team Marin 95

alpla444

Retro Newbie
Hi I have just got a Team Marin 95
It has some Manitou Mach 5 forks in it they are not great and to be honest Im not a fan of suspension forks, I used to ride a Marin Bear Valley zoltane paint finish when I was younger bought it brand new and was the best bike I have ever had, lovely ride ( was stolen many years ago)
I want a ridgid fork for the bike, (yes I know the Team Marin had lighter forks 730g I think) and I know they would be really hard to get a hold of, just wondering what my options are? The bike I have would need a respray. Never built a bike before but I am pretty good diy and maintained bikes before etc.... Not opposed to the bike not looking stock, quite open as to what look it will have, probably sticking with a 3x8 drive on it.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

What size is the frame? 15.5 17.5 19"

Stick with a threaded set up to reduce the need for a long steerer.

Thats 134, 153 and 183mm respectively as per above frame sizes. Of course there is wiggle room for that with spacers/hacksaw.

That tech waffle done.....the 730g thing was a certain red herring. Most weighing around 880g.
The top two options from my experiences are.....find some forks from a nail trail, ift, or rocky ridge. The look and fit well enough. Albeit a slight colour mismatch.

Secondly, get some forks from a 1993 any model. They have a nice team-stylee blade and dropout appearance and usually 930g. Perhaps pro paint or rattle can a volvo silver yourself.

Sub note.
When you look closer, almost any steel forks of that generation, be it raleigh, rigdgeback, ritchey dropout'ed steel forks will do the job and be 26", have hole for reflector/brake booster/crud guard.

Marc.

There are plenty of Marin forks on Ebay at the moment, so once you know what steerer length you need it might be owrth a check there.

Thats 134, 153 and 183mm respectively as per above frame sizes. Of course there is wiggle room for that with spacers/hacksaw.

That tech waffle done.....the 730g thing was a certain red herring. Most weighing around 880g.
The top two options from my experiences are.....find some forks from a nail trail, ift, or rocky ridge. The look and fit well enough. Albeit a slight colour mismatch.

Secondly, get some forks from a 1993 any model. They have a nice team-stylee blade and dropout appearance and usually 930g. Perhaps pro paint or rattle can a volvo silver yourself.

Sub note.
When you look closer, almost any steel forks of that generation, be it raleigh, rigdgeback, ritchey dropout'ed steel forks will do the job and be 26", have hole for reflector/brake booster/crud guard.

Marc.
Hope OP doesn’t mind me joining in as I have a similar question! How do marin measure frames? I’ve got a 1995 eldridge grade that I’d like to get some forks for , it measures 19’’ centre of the crank to top of the seat tube. Not sure if marin measured them like this though?

Attachments

• IMG_8169.jpeg
    IMG_8169.jpeg
    980.7 KB · Views: 12
Hope OP doesn’t mind me joining in as I have a similar question! How do marin measure frames? I’ve got a 1995 eldridge grade that I’d like to get some forks for , it measures 19’’ centre of the crank to top of the seat tube. Not sure if marin measured them like this though?
It was my understanding that the frames where measured Centre to centre, I ma sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sub note.

Marc.
Thanks for a quick and comprehensive reply, Its a15 1/2 size frame, which is exactly what size I want/need as I am a shorty, not 100% sure the Team 95 was the bike I was after lol, it was on ebay my size and local, far from prefect (but frame straight and solid little rust few scratches, Seat post moves though lol, The 95 Team is a gold colour kinda, the nail trail is polished aluminium well a 95 one is I have one in the garage I was going to take the forks from it but it is a 19 size

That would be a 17.5 in Marin sizing :)

Sure, marin published sizes from centre to centre from 1990-1995 steel frames. Aluminium half an inch differently.

Indeed, you have a 17.5" marin.
For riding, there isnt much in that size and 19". You still have a face down race geometry. Things got different by 1996 but still, a low rise stem was the factory fit.
Anyhoo, enjoy what you have. These frames are easy to get built with plenty of 90's LX, sugino and no awkward sizes for headset and seatpost.

On a previous setup. I put these very silver forks.....

PICT0010_zpstty0yyex.jpg

On this very....err champagne silver team. Fit well with a low stack ritchey headset.
The colour thing didn't bother me. 13 miles through Yorkshire mud and it all looks the same.

20220618_144806.jpg

The 750g rockstar forks, did just about weight 750g....but only in 15.5" size...😂.

By the time you got to 20.5" xl frame they are well over 900g....

Its a bit like marins bike weights in the early 90s, which were weighed without pedals (as did many manufacturers).... (because obviously you wont be using those).....the actual logic was that for race purposes...where weight mattered, you would add your own spds.

Lies, damn lies and statistics......

Back