Forks for my team Marin 95

Well, some 10+ years on, I've still got it👍
Some parts and forks have been swapped since. I use it for work (on road with knobbly tyres) and the bike can also attack cross country too.
It's a lightweight Machine that makes almost any terrain easy to navigate.

But then, it has mid 90's geometry where the cruising angle is too low at the front, with a long top tube too. For my purposes i will use it for short duration xc (where i consciously alter rider position) for comfort and power prompt.
Commuting though....ive got a new-ish 2nd hand gary fisher advance. For that chilled out experience 😉.
Good to know, I think it was a 1990 bear Valley that I used to have it was totally standard but great, I know this will be different, Newer frame and higher spec, what BB did you have? (if you changed from original that is) I will be running the same XT crankset or possibly fit a White industries that I have, I am currently slow stripping the bike down, I wll get it resprayed the piece it back together, will keep it 8 speed, possibly upgrade to XTR 9 speed if I feel the need to that is

Thtas what I got, needs some work but not too bad very solid and to be honest the rust and scratches aint too bad s-l1600.jpg

They are 68 x 107mm. Thats a certainty for white industries. Ive also run 110mm without issues.
Generally i hold out for XT un71, 72. Can be picked up for less than a 20 quid lump of un55, just to pick on a bottom bracket!
Ive stuck with 3 x 8 as, sram gear is just so suitable. Sram 9 speed chains work nice on 8 speed set ups. Sram cassettes are plentyful, cheap, light.

Appreciate this is from a few months back, however the discussion was useful to me and I wanted to contribute, having a few Marin frames I am working on. If anyone needs some parts to be weighted let me know.

Here are the photos on the scale of three Marin Rockstar forks.

- Dark grey Bear Valley (not the SE) 1993, 20.5 inches (the largest frame), Frame reference starting M83, "CM / CM" engraved on steerer, dropouts stamped "Spinner": 974g

- Light grey Eldridge grade 1993, 19 inches (steerer 183 mm), frame reference starting M63, dropouts stamped"Tange": 864g (may be 1 to 5g of dirt here and there): 864g

- Black Eldridge grade 1992, 19 inches (steerer 183mm), can't see any dropout stamp, 750g sticker, CM/CM engraved on steerer: 910g

This also seems to match what a fellow member said here: a 1994 "750g" version with 183 mm steerer at 865g

For the Eldrigde grade 1993 I can't see the "CM / TB" but there is some sort of paint on the steerer and it is most likely under this. I don't know if there was yet another fork even lighter than this 864g or not.

I should add that between the 1992 fork and 1993 forks the tubes are slightly different, it's not exactly the same shape.

Those forks are pre 1997 and therefore have the ~395mm axle to crown, deemed more "racey".

Rebuilding a 19 inches Marin Team issue myself as light as possible and for commute, if anyone has any recommendation of fork in the 400 / 410mm, not stiff and light, please let me know. I am looking at Kona p2, or am on the market for a 1997 onwards Marin.

Last edited:
Back