Twist grip thoughts/advice

Hello,
I'm asking for advice on behalf of my sister who is getting into MTBing and has a basic Forma MTB, triple front and seven (I think) on the rear. She has an old injury to her left thumb and is finding shifting gear quite painful. I've tweaked the set up for her and the bike shifts well - so she's the problem! 🤣

One answer is to change to a single front ring. Presumably that will require a change in the rear block in order to keep a decent range of gears? Would that also require a wheel change (for the increased block width) and maybe a crank change?

Another option would be a twist grip changer. That has the appeal of fewer component changes/less cost until she works out if she really enjoys it. I've never tried these myself so was after some general advice/thoughts on their use and set up. Also, perhaps recommendations on exactly what to get .... although I'd prefer to stick with Shimano if possible.

Thanks
Gripshift works fine, my better half prefers it to triggers or thumb shifter. Think it's silly to replace a perfectly functioning setup, 3x7, unless she herself finds it annoying to have to shift two things, rather than one. Gripshifters are cheap and you won't have to replace crankset (possibly), cassette and derailleur like you would if you went 1x.

That said if you go the direction of 1x, I've been very happy with my wide range Deore 1x11, at a decent cost. Big 52t in the rear.

That's brilliant, thank you all for your help. I'll work out in due course whether I'm cultured, a pleb or an idiot! 🤣🤣

Her current shifter is a Shimano EZ Fire Plus with a Tourney mech and she only needs the front triple. Very much low budget to test the water and see how she gets on with MTBing.
View attachment 811060
Does 'halfpipe' mean you have a longer length of grip to twist? From what I've found so far, Shimano's offering seems to be intended to operate with thumb and forefinger only. As her thumb is the issue, I would think the longer grip area would be better .... or do they mean, you only need the thumb/forefinger wrapped around the grip to operate it? As you can see - I know nothing!

When you say Gripshifters take a bit of getting used to, is that because they feel weird compared to thumbshifters or are they just a bit ... odd?

What are 'chucky thumbshifters'? Google throws up some interesting results!
'Halfpipe' is a longer length of grip to twist. However, the usual length of the grip to twist is 3.0-4.5 cm which might be long enough (wide enough) for your sister to wrap two fingers around anyway. Obviously, though, she only has one opposable thumb on each hand, so I'm not sure that a wider grip that can accommodate more fingers will make life any easier for her thumb. If everything's in good order, she shouldn't need to grip the shifter much harder than she grips the handlebars anyway.

GripShift takes a bit of getting used to partly because any shifting system that you're new to takes a while to become second nature. To start, she will need to look at the shifter to remind herself which way to twist. In addition, she will use her wrist, so it feels different. Last, most, but not all, GripShift allow trimming the front mech, and usually for example, the left shifter will go through three 'clicks' before it shifts from the largest ring to the middle ring. It's not just one 'click' and done. (The old SRT-400 lacked intermediate 'clicks', however.) For me, though, it's the right-hand shifter which makes GripShift efficient: it's possible to shift through multiple gears very quickly.

Last edited:
Good point about the opposable thumb! 🤣
In practice, are there any real differences between the SRAM Gripshift and Shimano Revoshift? .... and why the general preference for SRAM?
I had originally thought of sticking to Shimano as per her derailleurs but as they're compatible that's not an issue ....

Thanks again 🙂

In practice, are there any real differences between the SRAM Gripshift and Shimano Revoshift? .... and why the general preference for SRAM?
I had originally thought of sticking to Shimano as per her derailleurs but as they're compatible that's not an issue ....

Thanks again 🙂
No difference both crap :D running awaaayyyy..Edit obviously joking in case anyone takes offense.

Thanks again 🙂

They put SRAM on young children's bikes for a reason, simplicity of shifting and grip.
If you cannot get the old ones Sachs/sram late 90s era, then it'll be Shimano, I've never used Shimano Revoshift though so cannot comment.
The later Sachs/SRAM are easier to use than the SRT era ( 600/500).
Modern SRAM is designed for SRAM and SRAM didn't make a good front mech so got rid of it ;-)

Of course she may not like or find it comfortable.
Your current setup is very cheap and probably a bit shite.

It should be noted some of the newer (15year ish?) can use fingers to trigger the shifts and thumb push are a lot lighter than the old stuff used to be.

Another problem is, well. That's bikes a cheap setup, nothing is going to be smooth slick and light action in use ;-).

Electronic shifting rear only (Cues?) will be the future for her.
But cost more than the bike

Thanks again 🙂
I've had a play with Revoshift but just out of curiosity in a shop. The shifting seemed fine but those silvery plastic ones are quite big, bulbous units—a bit bigger than you might imagine from images on Amazon or wherever—that I just don't want on my handlebars. I'm not that keen on the feel of the grip either. It's more a case of look and feel than anything else.

The preference for SRAM is probably just due to the fact that SRAM have made more good GripShift models than Shimano. But they're not all good. The SRAM MRX, which you might see on cheap hybrids and shopper bikes, have a grip which is quite smooth—not really designed for MTBs. SRAM SRT-300 and below: avoid—you have to turn the left-hand shifter too far for comfort when changing gear. On the other hand, SRAM SRT-400, SRT-600 and SRT-800 are all fine. Additionally, the current SRAM MRX Comp and the Sachs Wavey from way-back-when look quite different but are similar in operation and the right-hand shifters are very precise. All of these models are Shimano-compatible.

Twist grips/gripshifts require require quite a squeeze in order to overcome cable forces & the tightness within the mechs/cables. This is often why some people do not get on with them. In wet/cold conditions changing gear can be almost impossible. Wether she can cope with this or if it is fine with her condition - only she can answer that one. I would guess a thumbshifter offers the most versatility & the option to use it with the palm of the hand or more strength.

Never had any issue with gripshift, in any condition, except the awful sram ones I had. Always shimano for me. People are talking about all of this like it is rocket science, I doubt this person is looking to become an extreme downhiller, or do extreme trails requiring 1x13 or 14 or whatever it is now with electric doodads. Probably just looking to ride round the woods and enjoy themselves on an older bike. 3x7 is perfectly adequate and can beat any of the modern setups in terms of longevity and reliability any day of the week.

Latest posts

Back