First ever bike build (GT avalanche) - questions

kicks66

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a GT avalanche frame, that I want to then build up into a commuter bike (1x 7-9) etc

This would be my first bike build. I like to think of myself as a bit of a DIY-er, but as it will be my first I wanted to ask 2 main questions:

1. how much should I expect to spend on components & tools? I think i'll likely buy most parts off ebay 2nd hand, and something around a Deore/XT sort of level
2. what are the pain points to watch out for? what makes a build difficult?

standards make a build difficult.
how old of an average lance are we talking?
I ask because this will change things.

cost of tools, most tools are just normal stuff, only things that will be special bike tools are bottom bracket and cassette. tenner each.
depending on age you may need something to fit a headset, most people make their own for the first time from a bit of threaded rod and some chunks of wood.

components, the sky's the limits.

As novocaine said, it depends upon the age of the GT Avalanche you are looking to restore and how period correct you want it to be. The older the bike is, generally, the less abundant the parts are, and then within that, those that are in good condition, attract a premium. There are bargains to be had of course and there are some that purchase other bikes purely for their components, in this case the whole is worth less than the sum of its parts! :). Many old parts can be restored quite easily with some paint or polish too. However, If you are building a 1by commuter bike then you might want to just get a new drivetrain/shifter set. It'll probably cost the same or less than good condition period parts. The same goes for bars, grips and seat/seat post too. Whilst I like to restore to original, there are some amazing restomods out there. I find Instagram a great resource for ideas and for parts, many list the parts they have used making them easy to find.

Cost? It depends really. I've restored two early 90's GT Avalanches, and spent way more than they were worth on each one... but my objective was to get them as original and as clean as possible...I love them and don't regret a penny of it.

It would be entirely possible to build a functional, fun, and enjoyable bike for much, much, less.

If you are a DIY-er, you'll probably have most of the tools you need, a set of Hex Keys and an Adjustable locking spanner are essential if you don't already have them. Decent cable cutters are a worthwhile investment too! (Warning though, If you get into this restoration lark, you'll find yourself buying all sorts of tools!) Get some decent grease too.

Pain points...I tend to see these as challenges in restoring bikes that have often been neglected for a decade or more :) . Stuck seat posts and bottom brackets are perhaps the most common, but they and almost everything else can be overcome. Patience is the most important tool here...for me anyway!

Also, there are 100's of years of experience on this site, so don't be afraid to ask. I've learnt loads from other members on here. YouTube is also a good resource for how to videos and there are bunch of guys doing restomods on there. Look up Spindatt and Oldshovel to name just two of them...

As novocaine said, it depends upon the age of the GT Avalanche you are looking to restore and how period correct you want it to be. The older the bike is, generally, the less abundant the parts are, and then within that, those that are in good condition, attract a premium. There are bargains to be had of course and there are some that purchase other bikes purely for their components, in this case the whole is worth less than the sum of its parts! :). Many old parts can be restored quite easily with some paint or polish too. However, If you are building a 1by commuter bike then you might want to just get a new drivetrain/shifter set. It'll probably cost the same or less than good condition period parts. The same goes for bars, grips and seat/seat post too. Whilst I like to restore to original, there are some amazing restomods out there. I find Instagram a great resource for ideas and for parts, many list the parts they have used making them easy to find.

Cost? It depends really. I've restored two early 90's GT Avalanches, and spent way more than they were worth on each one... but my objective was to get them as original and as clean as possible...I love them and don't regret a penny of it.

It would be entirely possible to build a functional, fun, and enjoyable bike for much, much, less.

If you are a DIY-er, you'll probably have most of the tools you need, a set of Hex Keys and an Adjustable locking spanner are essential if you don't already have them. Decent cable cutters are a worthwhile investment too! (Warning though, If you get into this restoration lark, you'll find yourself buying all sorts of tools!) Get some decent grease too.

Pain points...I tend to see these as challenges in restoring bikes that have often been neglected for a decade or more :) . Stuck seat posts and bottom brackets are perhaps the most common, but they and almost everything else can be overcome. Patience is the most important tool here...for me anyway!

rebuilding bikes and restoring them is addictive. i ok'd it with my doc, he thought i could handle it 🤡

I’ve found that a $350-600 budget will allow you to get XT level parts in good condition and modern-ish bars & seat for decent ergos.

Square taper bottom brackets have always been my point of contention. Chainline, width, taper angle, offset, puller tools….all a pain to measure that generally leaves me having purchased several before the right fit is achieved. As a result, I suggest getting a Hollowtech II crankset/BB. One size fits all and no special tools are needed.

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a GT avalanche frame, that I want to then build up into a commuter bike (1x 7-9) etc

This would be my first bike build. I like to think of myself as a bit of a DIY-er, but as it will be my first I wanted to ask 2 main questions:

1. how much should I expect to spend on components & tools? I think i'll likely buy most parts off ebay 2nd hand, and something around a Deore/XT sort of level
2. what are the pain points to watch out for? what makes a build difficult?

A simple bike multi-tool will get you quite far (if you have other basic DIY tools like spanners, hammers etc). Budget £5-20 for one of these. Alternatively, you can can buy bike tool kits - starting around £40. You'll also want oil, grease, WD40 or similar. Budget around a fiver for each.

Components wise, you could easily spend another £400-500 buying them all separately in nice condition or get lucky and find a donor bike for much less.

Personally, I would not buy a bare frame as a first project - but at least choose one with seatpost (unstuck)/clamp, stem, headset/forks. These bits and pieces add up, and finding perfectly fitting second hand replacements can be an exercise in wasted time/money - and likely the seller of the frame can't make a huge amount of use out of them. Better still buy a complete bike and restore/tinker with it to suit.

Feels rude not to post a picture of my somewhat molested (consensual) Average Lance.
not a 90's perfect build or anything, more a 2008ish mule that's been treated to a ginger squirt and a good brush. Acquired on here as a frame, seat post, headset and stem and built using spare parts, the forks are glitter Marmite (no one likes them), the drive train is a converted FSA something laced to a 8 speed cassette thats seen better days and a chain that's nearly done with a 2000 ish LX derailleur (front ring came from a very nice squirrel admirer). even the brakes are from another bike that had been upgraded. Wheels are relaced deep section lead rims with a no name sealed front hub and a shimano something on the rear.

20230611_164714.jpg

Back