Twist grip thoughts/advice

Twist grips/gripshifts require require quite a squeeze in order to overcome cable forces & the tightness within the mechs/cables. This is often why some people do not get on with them. In wet/cold conditions changing gear can be almost impossible. Wether she can cope with this or if it is fine with her condition - only she can answer that one. I would guess a thumbshifter offers the most versatility & the option to use it with the palm of the hand or more strength.
Never had these problems, you've either only used lower end ones or the CX style or the SRT and not looked after them or ballsed up the installation etc.

Newer Waveys are ace and not a problem, they also can have spring assist and have the extra wide diameter imboard if you're in snow, mud lard, etc. And really need it.

You mostly don't twist with a hand thumb/finger grip, but your hand, the half pipes make it a palm twist.

But as always it try it and see, it'll be attached to Tourney gears. Would be great to see what is tried.

Sturmey did a big thumb thufter, often used on trikes and disability bikes, horrible thing my son hated it.. May only work with hub hears.

We're talking, or at least I am talking moderne post Sachs take over by SRAM so late 90s to 00s, I must try some Shimano out but RevoShift just don't look pretty.

Had a look and Shimano RV200 look quite smart now, loads of style.

For the half pipe a quick find brings this up https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/3-speed-sram-centera-front-twist-shifter/ never used it though.
A better easier to use front mech itself may be an idea, anyone got a light action front mech?

Maybe a Browning setup would be best?

Last edited:
Back