Top 10 retrobike forum memories

Re:

Pat's ride thread is my favourite thing on here, and anything Charlie Kelly contributes. JohhnyBoy's shop thread, and general adventures. Anything with a bit of passion. Robmac's info about his heart, and similarly THM's.

Drystone Paul was my favourite member for sensible posts, and I miss Greenstiles for his quirky honesty!

Always love the Mayhem threads, and the Puffer ones.

Speaking of Puffer, Jamie and his beardy weirdy pal are the real deal full on cycle nuts that are the engine of a place like this.

Not forgetting TinTin's weight weeny shenanigans, which always appealed to the inner geek in me!

And anything by the big cheese is worth a read!

Al for humour and great cars!

tintin40":277k9pmf said:
the numbers of people who aren't on here any more. Since i started.

I am still here....you duck board hating...fiberglass riding...grumpy old man!

longun":2rbe8z2h said:
What's you top ten memories form your time here?

Builds, rides, members Etc etc etc

Tricky - no particular order

Making better friends here than out in the 'real world' (whatever that may be)

Learning about materials and joining methods

Getting back together with a friend from 25 years ago via one of the Gates rides

Having a bicycle featured in not just one but two magazines - something I'd never ever dreamed of

All the wacky parts and ideas I'd never seen or heard of before

Still not tired of helping others - even if my answers are a bit blunt and stilted (it is better to do than to say)

So many rides! I've seen new parts of the country I'd never expected to get to certainly not on a bicycle - certainly pisses off some in the Pub when they say they've walked around there and we've all cycled up rather than drove.

Always more than a bit surprised at how many turn up for the flattest ride in the RB calendar - The Gates 2018!

Lid":13vj1jwk said:
tintin40":13vj1jwk said:
the numbers of people who aren't on here any more. Since i started.

I am still here....you duck board hating...fiberglass riding...grumpy old man!

:LOL: but your too far away now to meet up. Glad to read you are still here. One of the few. I don't bother with the meets now. The mtb carefreeness has gone from them. Plus they stop to much. Unlike you. :cool:

had time to ponder and wander the infinate bank of smiles ive had, in no order

hanging out with charlie kelly and joe breeze at clipstone, my local venue drinking ale, eating fish and chips and having breakfast with my idols next day after theyd spept in my living room

first retrobike ride in lincoln......in the snow. I think this was my first ride with strangers. who knew i want the only one haha

first peaks ride, mrks ride, loved it and couldnt stop grinning.

beating drs at the trials comp at the big dirty weekender

the guv getting my daughter a mayhem t shirt

every mayhem ive attended, truely magical

meeting everyone at rides, jumbles, pubs etc

iconoclassic, the 2nd to last one as its the only one i attended and actually meeting some of the southerners ;)

building my dream bike, a pace with xtr

learning how to splatter paint

theres probobly more

tintin40":9d5vonen said:
I don't bother with the meets now. The mtb carefreeness has gone from them :cool:

Perhaps if you just wore a lid the others could be carefree rather than feeling liable for sorting you if you come off and nut something hard.

My third annual victory in the Word Association game remains a high point for me. Somehow none of my subsequent wins have given quite the same satisfaction.

After a decade away from the MTB scene, you retrobikers helped me make sense of the insanity that has overtaken the modern bike scene.

Discovering I'm not the only inverse snob out there who insists on riding old school MTBs.

Getting my hands on my unicorn (a NOS Dynatech MT4) and a custom steel frame, the red Rourke. Also getting to try other awesome bikes thanks to different retrobikers (special thanks to LGF and THM).

I've seen too many really inspiring builds to list, but some of Sinnerman's builds have left me astonished.

Retro Spud":2m2ds0rx said:
tintin40":2m2ds0rx said:
I don't bother with the meets now. The mtb carefreeness has gone from them :cool:

Perhaps if you just wore a lid the others could be carefree rather than feeling liable for sorting you if you come off and nut something hard.

here we go again. :roll: I don't tell you not to wear one. So you all can ;)

These are the first few thoughts that came into my head:
Jonny Boy in his suit on the start line at Mayhem.
The first heckling tent at same.
Helping to extend the forum into actual rides and meets.
Meeting Fairfax Pat and riding the Repack.
Any RB ride involving Heathy or Edwards.
OWMTBC afterparties.
The Moderator 'Lounge'.

I'm sure we can all agree that RB has been a helluva 'character magnet'...! ;-)

Back