If you HAD to choose new V brakes for a Retrobike?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I don't want to open a can of worms and start a Cantilever v V's argument.

But if you had to put new V Brakes and levers on a Retrobike which if any new ones would you choose, are there any that are acceptable looking. It's not a high end build, but towards the top of its range.

I have another build that's 'period correct' but this one that's suits the use it's going to get and that means V's.

Avid SD7s are decent enough if you want higher up their food chain. Not that different to 5s really.

Xtr stopped at m970. You may still be able to get XT new, not sure.

I've got a few sets of various Vs spare if you are looking for some.

Would have to suit the build but I was always keen on Avid Arch Rivals. Even better if you can find some Arch Supremes.

I honestly don't think you could want more than what M739 could give you as far as V-brakes, and for me at least the looks are spot on so for Shimano options I'd say that or XTR. If "aftermarket" is your thing & you need performance I'd ditch the V and go with HS33 maggies. As said though, whatever suits the build best in your eyes, I don't think there were a great many decent quality V's that underperformed unless it was a pad issue.

Thought I'd have a look-see at SJS which for me often have lots of stuff that could be useable - I was maybe expecting more choice, but V-brakes are now a bit dead I suppose - it's all about discs now innit? There's not much in this small selection that stirs any girdles....
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes-v-brake/

Secondhand and top-of-the-range V's might be the way to go

I can't really tell the difference, all v brakes feel the same to me with koolstops. I had a moment where I was certain I could tell the difference the more I paid. Placebo. I'd go for sd7 or m739 as they're relatively cheap and not that hard to come by. For modern I always use the t610 which I've had on 4 bikes, they work just as well as anything else.

If you want to look very cool I suppose it is Paul's, if you enjoy overengineered parts that are more fiddly than fun.

Do you want them to be silver, black, or irrelevant? That might help to decide. I've also found all models from reputable brands to give me similar good performance, so it's mostly down to aesthetics...

Silver always gives a retro look, no matter how modern the bits are

Never Shimano with the parallel push for me - over complicated, they are always troublesome with screeching from that extra mechanism's slop.

Avid 25 are my first choice - lighter than XTR and work just as well.

Back