Steel Frame/Fork Battle: Fat vs Kona

Which steel frame/fork combo will you choose?

• Fat & BOI

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Kona & P2

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
I'm a huge Kona Fan, i would think a tad more than Fat in my early years, but this was down to exposure.

For me the early Kona's were there golden years, or mine at least. But they did suffer with bent forks, poor alignment on the early lower end models, Track II issues etc. the geometry I think suits the Uk terrain and weather conditions perfectly, More so than a Fat, but even with all this said and done, its an unfair comparison in my eyes. like comparing a Top of the Range Stumpjumer with a Top of the Range Ritchey.
When it comes to better, where you ride tells which one rules. I would chose a Stumpjumper over a P21 for the trails i have ridden all my life. And i would chose a Fat Chance over the Stumpjumper because: taller bottom bracket, shorter wheelbase, laidback seat angle. Sure.. the paint and build details on a Fat can be glorious.. but there is the ghost of rust creeping on Yo Eddys as well.

Purplewicked nailed it. I had a large frame 88 Explosif, lovely bike ( loved the paint ) apart from the clag-up U brake. Sold it to a lanky 10st mate who suited it better. That long head tube geometry was too flexy for me back then and the ride set up position too limiting. Used to ride it down lots of steps in London 😆 Always respect the Konas of that era and their ethos with thumbies and choice parts and premium tubing.

Many high end frames of that era used super thin steel 0.3/4mm alloy tubing, which over time our Northern Temperate Climate has corroded. Its not unique to FATs. You need to dry out the frames properly after a wet ride and use frame saver or similar. My 89 Team Comp owned since new has been drenched countless times riding in the Lake District, Ireland over many many years and has zero internal rust or otherwise as I look after it properly.

I like the sloping TT design of my 97 FAT Ti, not as pronounced as early Konas but it gives a slightly softer comfy ride compared to my 94 FAT Ti but I absolutely love riding both. Lots of love on RB for Konas and rightly so, not gonna knock them. Ride what makes you happy 😁👍

Back