Need help - was there ever made an steel ATB/MTB frame in my desired geometry?

Lui V

Dirt Disciple
Hi retro folks
I have been looking for a old school steel ATB/MTB frame with a sloping top tube, fairly long headtube and a big (road'ish) BB drop It's to be my commuter bike for occasional dirt/gravel forest road and bikepacking/touring.

Did someone make that kind of frame geometry back in the late 80s or 90s???

I was hoping that GT, Univega, Wheeler, Rocky Mountain and or Kona's did - but I can't find one. I'm 1,90 m (6.2 feet) with 2/3 torso and 1/3 legs so I prefer long frames with a low standover height. I got a Kona Humu (2005) in 20" with a P2 and tried to use it a commuter but I didn't like the high bottom bracket for that application (it's fantastic as a XC bike).

In my search I came upon this WTB Phoenix here on Retrobike (see below - sorry I forgot who posted it). The geometry looks great - I just need one with a bigger BB drop. Something like 75 - 80 mm BB drop

Is that kind of geometry just to modern ? I had a Kona DEW (2010) with the geometry that I'm looking for, but I didn't like the harsh riding of that ALU frame. Besides the maximum tire clearance wasn't great.

Any help would be great :)

... and I know - a modern steel gravel/touring frame would be the easiest choice but I don't really care for modern bikes unless they are full suspension enduro bikes

IMG_5924small.JPG

DR Dew.jpg

You could tighten up the angles and also drop the BB a bit by running the shortest fork (Axle to Crown).

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this popped into my head; the Singular Peregrine has a low bb and a long top tube, just not a low standover height. May be worth a look.

Have a look at the old 80s cannondale mtb’s. Sloping top tube, long (and I mean, LONG) headtube. Probably not as much bb drop as you want but pretty good

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this popped into my head; the Singular Peregrine has a low bb and a long top tube, just not a low standover height. May be worth a look.

Singular is nice but I was hoping to find something more retro/vintage. But I’ll have a look at the Singular back catalog.

The Gryphon has the frame geometry I’m searching for
IMG_4108.jpeg

Back