Reynolds Frame Builder in the UK - 1999 Kona Explosif Project

Happy to help...I'm in Leek, N. Staffordshire :)

As others have said, I do a lot of repairs and reproductions for retro riders/collectors in both steel and aluminium (and occasional Ti). It's not my main business, so other properly paid work often gets in the way, but I try to keep you lot serviced.

Pretty straightforward putting a 'towel rail' into the Kona. Main thing is to avoid distortion of the seat tube (Use heat expanding heat sink) and to consider the butt at the front. It can be TIG welded to match the rest of the frame, or fillet brazed.
Reynolds, Columbus or Dedaccial tubing would all suit. No particular structural or metallurgical reason to use 853 there, it's all compatible steel and capable of doing the job, but I can of course oblige if you want to keep it all the same alloy.

There's actually no such thing as a 'Registered Reynolds Builder'🤔...
Like all bike tubing companies, they (or their agents) will happily sell their products to anybody who wants to buy it...even tube alloys that are very picky and a pig to work with such as the currently discontinued 953.
There are a few of us older builders around who do have the Reynolds 753 Master Framebuilder certificate from the 80s and early 90s, which was the closest that any tube manufacturer came to a test of competence for customers. Even then, I don't know of anyone failing the test, or Reynolds ever refusing to sell 753 to builders who hadn't passed the test. It was mainly a very good marketing idea for both Reynolds and the builders.

IMG_9161_zpslgbasish.jpg scan0051_zpsjcnicbbz.jpg

All the best,

Happy to help...

Theres actually no such thing as a 'Registered Reynolds Builder'🤔...

There are a few of us older builders around who do have the Reynolds 753 Master Framebuilder certificate from the 80s and early 90s, which was the closest that any tube manufacturer came to a test of competence for customers.

Iirc it was commonly thought that 853 was only available to framebuilders approved by reynolds (circa yr2000)
No idea why.

We used to get our tubes off ceeway, but never bought 853 as we were usually looking to braze a bit more bounce - i dont remember seeing it on their website - still laughably 20th century, if you fancy some nostalgia...

Maybe you could only buy 853 in larger quantities, so needed to primarily be a framebuilder rather than a general shop.

as @danson67 says, it's a towel rail, the main consideration is aesthetics and not distorting or stressing the original frame tubes, so it's really just size and weight to consider.
A benefit of fillet braze over tig would be that it could technically be undone if it turns out your explosif frame was the one actually ridden by Elvis Presley🤔 Screenshot_20240419-115910_Firefox.jpg

Woodrups any good?

I used to work with Kevin Sayles who returned to Woodrup a few years ago. I can vouch for his workmanship. I would have thought they/he would be Reynold's 853 certified.

Ye
Woodrups any good?

I used to work with Kevin Sayles who returned to Woodrup a few years ago. I can vouch for his workmanship. I would have thought they/he would be Reynold's 853 certified.
Yes, Woodrup/Bob Jackson do build in 853.
..no need to be 'certified', though, Reynolds will sell to anyone.

They charge £110 for a new top tube. I imagine a retrofitted towel rail would be around the same.

All the best,

£110 for a towel rail to be fitted sounds fair these days. Quite frankly I doubt many people would go to that sort of hassle for much less. That sounds expensive in old money but in the current climate many people would probably turn down £110 for a couple hours work .... (awaits comment that it should only take quarter of an hour)

£110 for a towel rail to be fitted sounds fair these days. Quite frankly I doubt many people would go to that sort of hassle for much less. That sounds expensive in old money but in the current climate many people would probably turn down £110 for a couple hours work .... (awaits comment that it should only take quarter of an hour)

It's another
"Five Minute Job Mate"
isn't it?
"I'd do it myself if I had the tools"🤣

I charge 45£ to do anything with the oxyacetylene, to cover training, purchase, insurance, keeping it safe, getting it out, clearing space, setup, safety gear, doing the job, dealing with burnt fingers😬, and then putting it all away again.

Had a guy laughing at me for offering to charge 45£ to replace a missing mudguard mount. He didn't go for it, and i wasn't sorry.
I suggested he find someone who already has all the kit out, hot and ready.

A five minute job takes an hour, basically, and fitting this tube is about 6 jobs👌

Last edited:
/\ Absolutely.
Sweeping a porch is a 5 minute job, but most folk these days wouldn't bother doing it for anything less than a tenner. It puts it into perspective.

Latest posts

Back