Should I buy yet another vintage Kona?!

eporter123

Dirt Disciple
So I’ve got a nice little Kona collection going with just about one complete bike of each of the hardtail models from the 90s, along with a few frames: ‘93 Fire Mountain, ‘95 cinder cone, ‘99 Lava Dome, ‘94 Kilauea frame, ‘89 Explosif, ‘93 Hot, ‘96 Hei Hei, ‘99 King Kahuna, ‘97 Ku frame, ‘98 Kula, ‘00 Kaboom, ‘00 Stab frame, ‘01 Stab Primo, ‘02 Mokomoko, and a newer 2019 Big Honzo ST. They mostly all have hung on the wall for years, with just a few getting all the miles. The Mokomoko was mine back in the day, even cracked the frame on it and replaced it. Now I just ride the Honzo over to the local bike park. The others are for the fun of rebuilding and such, and some need a full rebuild. The Explosif is so period-correct modified and crusty that I may just keep it 100% as-is.

It’s been fun collecting these over the past decade but I’m running out of time & enthusiasm for rebuilding them. Ok, I’m mainly running out of free time! These bikes do seem harder to find on the cheap nowadays, as they’ve either gotten broken, trashed, or collected. I’ve also given myself some boundaries on price and sizing. I’m 6’, so mainly looking for 19” frames, but have a couple 18” frames. Also trying to keep the price down, but they seem to keep going up, or do they? Kinda kicking myself for not buying a $700 Stars n Bars A’ha over the summer but it was too spendy!

So, I went and looked at a 1995 Kilauea today. Complete bike, all original parts down to the red Ritchey pads, rusty spots on the frame from sitting and maybe damp storage?, blown marzocchi xc700 fork. Seller told me several times via messages that it was a 19”, which is “my size” and one of the boundaries I’ve given myself on purchases! Turns out when I got there and measured it that it was an 18” frame. Cool bike, but would need a lot of parts and work and a new fork and I just wasn’t feeling it for $100. Maybe I was just pissed about the miscommunication. I do have an 18” 1994 Kilauea frame and P2 fork hanging with the other bikes and it’s been hanging there for years.

Should I go back and buy the complete Kilauea? Is it worth it? Will I regret/dislike having a slightly smaller 18” frame? I would’ve bought it if it had a P2/3 on it! I’ve got enough parts to do a cool restomod with the Kilauea frame and fork I’ve got. When is it too many Konas? Does anyone care about these anymore? Should I stop hoarding them?!

I feel like this group can understand my current plight! I guess I’m lucky that these are the current troubles I have, I should be so fortunate.

Pic is from the seller:

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Give it a few days. The urge you have now will be gone and you'll be able to take a more rational decision, whatever it is.

I would personally pass thought. As you, I only buy bikes my size, or if not, bikes I'll be able to flip easily with little effort. Otherwise I pass.

For me, the fact you have this many doubts make it a no-go. If you really wanted it, you wouldn't have made this post.

Some pics of you Ku and Hot would be ace if you haven't already shared them on the platform 👍
I think I’ve shared them before, but here ya go! There are more bikes elsewhere… I did just sell the yellow Montare so that frees up a hook! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    837.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Back