Sir Andy Murray Is Back!

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":t4yetngw said:
How about back to back Olympic golds?

You couldn't make this stuff up!

Hardly a unique result, especially for a Brit.

I appreciate this is ALL about my namesake, but thought I'd just point that out.

Especially on a cycling forum, where Brits have won multiple back to back golds.

As you were

Mike

highlandsflyer":zn9t209g said:
Ah, but it is the Andy Muz thread in off topic on a cycling forum!

As you were!

As I stated. Not a first in human endeavour. That's the point I was making.

'You couldn't make this stuff up' suggests unprecedented achievement to me.
Just my observation, as we're all entitled to.

The other Muz ;)

Re:

I think the achievements of Murray stack up well against any other Brit of recent times.

It is easy to forget how he was written off constantly..

Re:

To quote hf from another Olympic thread,

What are the practical benefits of - in this case - tennis? Hitting a ball over a net, and waiting for it to come back at you, or not?

Not like running / swimming / riding as fast as you can, or being strong enough to lift the back of a car off the ground, so your mate can change the wheel!

Not to diminish Muz's achievements, but you come across rather contradictory at times.

Not a Trump supporter, are you? :LOL:

Muz

Re:

He was frickin awesome....love the story about him training on his step exerciser at home until complete exhaustion...just for these prolonged brutal bouts.

Mike Muz 67":1kdqhj52 said:
'You couldn't make this stuff up' suggests unprecedented achievement to me.
It is pretty unprecedented. It's a sport we're historically shite at. There have been no other British players anywhere near his level since Henman and Rusedski retired when he was a wee boy (and there are none coming through either).

Contrast with the cycling team where there are lots of champions, both men and women at the highest level, winning golds and setting records. All training together pushing each other to go harder, faster, longer. The team aspect to some of the events again increases that bond as well as the competitive element. Not to mention the coaching and development infrastructure I suspect is somewhat better than in tennis.

It's not really possible to compare different sports though. Can we not just enjoy the fact a treble grand slam and double Olympic champion is wearing a GB shirt?

Back