Looking for advise on adding disks to old Yeti

tock13

Retro Newbie
Hello,
First post one the forum though I have been lurking a long while. I apologize for the long post! I have seen a few posts here where the OP was going to add or remove something from a vintage MTB frame and there was definitely a lot of mixed opinions on the subject. I have searched and found a post for almost the same exact retrofit I am thinking about, same frame I have, a 90's Yeti FRO and getting disc mounts front and back. The bike turned out really nice I have to say. I believe though that frame was unmodified before the added brake mounts unlike mine.

I know the main theme of disagreement on retrofits seemed to be resale value and the notion to keep vintage collectable bikes as original as possible. My frame has had some things done to it to make it not original already so the value may be tanked right off the bat. I was hoping I could get some advise based on my frame and adding disc mounts. Pictures included...I hope.

I bought this frame brand new in 1990 from a shop in Seattle, we ordered it from Yeti in Agoura Hills. I guess it is just another old Yeti but I have had a lot of incredible adventures on that thing. I built it up with Suntour XC Pro thumb shifters and derailleurs, the mandatory for the time purple Hyperlite bar, Ritchie Vantage comp rims and bullseye hubs and a set of Sugino cranks, the Bullseye crankset was out of my price range back then sadly. I added a Manitou I then later a Manitou EFC, still got em. Parts have been changed over the years as is typical I guess. I have all the original parts so can put it back to be period correct easily.

This was all back before camelbacks so I had a local builder add a 3rd set of water bottle cage mounts on the seat tube and then in around '92 I finally cracked the seat tube at the top in the typical place, I am 6'4" and back then uhhh...a tad overweight. :) The frame was sent back to Durango where Yeti repaired it with the sleeve and repainted it. The repair is nice and I have seen it done on a few old frames so may be semi common.

So here is where the question comes in, knowing I added a set of water bottle mounts and the seat tube has been repaired, would adding disc mounts really do anything worse to the value than what has already been done? I doubt I will ever sell it but would hate to totally destroy its value. My main bike is an Actiontec Curtlo I had Doug build after driving over to visit him right after he moved his shop to Washington State. These 2 bikes are totally different beasts from one another so I want to ride the Yeti more now.

I know there are pretty heated opinions on whether canti brakes work well or not. Where I live and ride it is always wet. Discs just hands down work better here.

Thoughts? You guys have some incredible bikes and reading through the restore threads is amazing so I truly value the knowledge here and would love some opinions...yay or nay on the discs?

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• yeti-6.jpeg
    yeti-6.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 349
  • yeti-5.jpeg
    yeti-5.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Yeti-4.jpeg
    Yeti-4.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Yeti-3.jpeg
    Yeti-3.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 343
  • yeti-2.jpeg
    yeti-2.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 348
  • yeti-0.jpeg
    yeti-0.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 351
Please dont

Sell it and buy a disk frame, appreciate what you're aiming for but its not worth it

You could try to find Hope Disks and adaptors for the torque arm but its a pre disk frame so in my humble opinion best to be left that was...

'Nay'.

Those dropouts/Seat/chainstays would require a lot of bodging for a disc mount, and they just aren't designed to take those forces, so would also require re-enforcement = ugly.

I know disks are better in the slop (have you been to the UK…? we get 2 days of winter, 3 days of summer and 360 days of rain), but it you want disks that bad, buy a modern bike for slop duties.

That said, it's your bike, and if that means it gets ridden, go for it.

boxxer":1ueo1d58 said:
Please dont

Sell it and buy a disk frame, appreciate what you're aiming for but its not worth it

You could try to find Hope Disks and adaptors for the torque arm but its a pre disk frame so in my humble opinion best to be left that was...

I very much agree!

Always loved YETI bikes, and yours looks particularly fine indeed...love that shade of grey , (is it particular colour / shade special to YETI cycles? ) and the overall style of the build. Looks like a lot of fun to ride.

I agree with you disc brakes are course way better, altho' I'd be inclined to agree with the other who have posted about keeping the frame original / as is.

How about getting a rigid fork made up to accept a disc? I have ridden with just a front disc and it works work ok for me. If you wished for better braking on the back, better / different cantilever brakes or even magura hydro stops could be an option?

Lastly am sure you remember around 1990-91 Answer / Accutrax + Mountain Cycles + Bullseye had a front disc set up on the market , so there is a nice nod to retro , if you got some fresh forks built-up ?

Could you swap in a disc-compatible fork, and run a disc up front and some HS33s (or whatever your preferred rim brake is) on the rear?

Re:

A2Z adaptors are designed to clamp on to big, flat-faced dropouts so one of those will probably work.

Don't know what you'd do about the fork though.

I reckon you made the right choice with the cranks, by the way. Sugino XPs are 'just right' somehow.

Re:

Link below to the build thread to give folk a glimpse of what it would/could look like fully loaded , To be honest its not at all in your face / cultural vandalism

viewtopic.php?t=156475

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBHk_SWr0wY[/youtube]

Having watched the video I so need to spoke up my Hugi - it sounds like a Gatling gun at low speeds god knows what that would sound like on a sharp decent a burst from a mini Gun or an A10 Warthog

And even Mike aka Mr Yeti made a positive comment on the torchwork and discs

Attachments

• A0575FC9-F5C3-4ED2-B3E3-4C257B633A97.jpeg
    A0575FC9-F5C3-4ED2-B3E3-4C257B633A97.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 232
Welcome.

Like someone has said, its your bike, do what you want to do, not what others would, or think you should, do.

There are options to fit discs to the frame and fork, without any modifications if you wanted. And obviously, anything can be modified back to original specs if you did get disc tabs fitted anyway.

One other thing, posting pictures of your bike, regardless of choices, would be welcomed :cool:

Back