Jack Taylor Super Tourist - 1983 built - sold 1990 -

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Jack Taylor Super Tourist - 1983 built - sold new 1990 - Travelled less than 20 miles.

Well I finally picked up a Super Tourist that I had purchased around 3 to 4 months ago from a older gentleman about a mile away from where we have the Jack Taylor annual ride each August. The gentleman has kept it for me until I was down for the ride this past weekend. Making the 900 odd mile trip even more worthwhile this year.
The bike had been inspected for me and it's provenance vouched for by a friend who is very well versed in all things Taylor Brothers and he came back with the recommendation to buy it as quickly as I could as it is as close to a new Taylor as I am ever going to get. The fact that it is a Super Tourist that I have been looking for, it was indeed my size and the fact it was specced with everything they offered and had lived its entire life inside one room inside a house meant it was a no brainer and I had to do it. Funds had to be sorted as this was not my usual lucky find frame to slowly build up, here was a top of the range model, unused in incredible condition. Luckily even my wife seen the opportunity this was. Thankfully the owner and I came to an agreement and the bike was mine.
While I have owned it for several months, had copies of the paperwork for it along with lots of photos, I had not seen it in the flesh until Saturday when I picked it up. I drove straight to the owners and sat round admiring it and taking in it's history from the owner along with a folder of paperwork from Jack when he bought it.

The story of this bike is quite interesting despite the fact I am told that it has covered less than 20 miles, most likely 10 miles from the gentleman's memory and certainly only ridden for about 3/4 of an hour at most. The condition of the bike is consistent with this. The story of it as has been told to me is as follows with paperwork consistent with this supplied:
Originally the bike was ordered back in around March 1983, there was a 6 month wait on builds and this frame was built 13/09/1983. It was ordered by a doctor working at one of the local hospitals. Teeside I am assuming here. It was ordered with all bells and whistles, dynamo, stainless guards, racks, lowrider on front as well, Brooks, Mafac, Stronglight, Maillard etc. Deposit is paid on ordering.
Bike is completed in September 1983, Jack or Norman ring to let the doctor know, only to be told he has moved on and relocated within that 6 months. No details given though from what the owner says they did try searching. Unsure of what to do with it and assuming as you would that the doctor would be back they hung onto it. Quite literally, as various people have told me, it hung in the shop/factory on display, promoting their work, while waiting for the doctor to return.
Roll on seven years to 1990 and the owner, who would have been late forties/early fifties by this stage went into the Taylor Brothers workshop to get a new bike. He was told there would be a 9 to 12 month wait. He obviously wanted the full spec tourer as he asked if there was anything he could have without waiting? He said to me he had been eyeing up the Super Tourer he had seen on display. After a bit of convincing Jack told him that he would sell it but had to service it beforehand.
After sitting with the owner and listening to his stories, there is a reason why he wanted a Taylor Brothers cycle and this story also explains why he kept it in his possession for so long. While it explained a lot, I am not at liberty to share this as it was his story and while nothing untoward, it's his reason for wanting a Taylor Brothers cycle and for enjoying owning it for so long despite not being able to ride it.
Alas I am jumping ahead here. the reason for the low miles is he originally bought the bike to ride on a Sunday morning the 1 mile to the local village to get his papers and ride home. Hardly the need for a Super Tourist but there you go. I do think this gentleman likes the nice things in life as this fits in well with my observations. The bike also fits in with this as do the scratch marks from strapping something to the rear rack. :)
Anyway about a month after purchasing the bike, the gentleman was heading overseas with work and hurt his back which resulted in a major spinal injury. He was several months in a hospital overseas, before being flown back to the UK where he had surgery but was told amongst other things that he couldn't ride a bike again, which he hasn't. Which is why the bike hasn't done anymore than 20 miles and hadn't even been out of the inner ring by my reckoning.
The owner was a really nice gent and I could see he was happy it was going to an enthusiastic owner who was going to use it as it should be but at the same time I could see he was sad to say goodbye.

A couple of things with this as you may see in the photos/paperwork, he actually got the bike for a bargain price as I have the price list for 1988 and the price he paid was I believe only what the doctor owed Jack, not inflated at all and even then it must have been less his deposit. Still a lot of money but for a top tourer, albeit with slightly out of date componentry, in 1990.
He paid £500 in 1990 yet in 1988 the price for the 10 speed Super Tourist was £690 with the Stronglight and cotterless Superlight Tourist being £940.

So I picked up the bike Saturday afternoon after leaving home at 6am and driving around 450miles trying to tell myself not to get too excited after waiting over 3 months to finally see it. It was worth all that and more as it was far better in the flesh than I imagined and there was far more to take in than I could in the photos.
As most know, I am into my tourers and have a couple I really love but this is next level in terms of build, every little thought out detail as well as quality. I have literally just got a new bike!
The spec is as follows in the photos with the build sheet with the highlights being:

21" Super Tourist model 531 fully tubed frame and forks finished in Metallic Green Lustre
Nervex Proffesional lugs, Campagnolo vertical ends
10 Speed Gearing
Stronglight Cranks 40/50 teeth gearing
Jack Taylor Stainless steel guards with Dynamo wire hidden in rolled edges
Jack Taylor racks front and rear with front Low Rider, all with matching frame numbers
Soubitec BB dyno, hence Campagnolo vertic dropouts. Full instruction pages included with paperwork.
Mafac Criterium brakes with Mafac Professional double safety levers, with Mafac green half hoods
Brooks B17 saddle
Lyotard pedals

Couldn't have specced it more to my liking if I tried. Can clearly see the French influence that Ken has spoke to me about in the past.
So that is the bike and of course what better maiden voyage than the 20 or so mile run that is the annual Jack Taylor get together just along the road in Stokesly. I did go to Stokesly late Saturday afternoon to visit Eric the organiser, and Jack Taylor genius as it was he who had been to see it.
I was a bit apprehensive leaving home without my trusty Super Clubman and relying on my new ride, which hadn't turned a wheel in 33 years to be fit for any sort of ride but the owner, said he would grease everything, pump up the tyres and oil the chain for me. He also later informed me that the tyres were still good and so I wouldn't need to bring my own down with me. So while I did pump up the tyres and adjust the saddle before the ride, I did also look at the Michelin World tour tyres that had a few cracks on the side and hoped they would last. I left my key with Dean, who wasn't riding so that if I punctured he would come in the van and pick us up.
The ride was on quiet back lanes and lovely rural roads on rolling hills at a very social pace riding with about 20 or 30 people all up. It was lovely weather as usual for this ride and the miles flew by.
The Super Tourist was a real pleasure and joy to ride. needs a bit of tweaking and I will replace all cables and headset bearings regrease everything as well, but only issue on the ride was the headset came a bit loose and the front derailleur would shift into the big ring properly. Minor issues but while it has done no real work, that is indeed the issue. So as a first ride being riding round in the sun over rolling hills in north Yorkshire with such nice company on a load of other Jack Taylors I would say it was a huge success.
To say I am over the moon with this one is an understatement for sure. I do realise I am so very lucky to be able to do this, let alone be able to ride it is something I am grateful for.
It will be getting used and hopefully be able to get away with it fully loaded for a couple of days sometime soon before the weather turns.
If you have read this far, you are either very bored or like a happy ending ;)

Jamie

1983 Jack Taylor Super Tourist by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

sale bill by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

P1020101 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

P1020104 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

P1020102 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

That's awesome, it's amazing bikes still come up in this condition.

I've never seen one of those BB Dynamo's either, pretty cool.

OCP, a lot of Taylor’s that are built to order with Racks are usually stamped with matching numbers. My super Clubman had its rack added much later and so that has no number on it.
There is usually very little adjustment on the rack fittings as they are built for a particular frame.

Jamie

Yesterday I did some maintenance on the recent incomer to the fleet, the Jack Taylor Super Tourist. Then of course I had to get a test ride in to make sure all was good. ;)
While the bike had less than 20 miles on it when I bought it, the grease was good when built or even first sold but that was 30 years ago, so needless to say the bearings and grease were a bit on the dry side. The original owner had greased a couple of points before I picked it up as they knew I was riding it the next morning at the JT ride in Stokesley but it seems to have been mainly pivot type points, not the headset, stem, seatpost etc. He had greased the front wheel bearings/axle so I thought they would be fine but as I was loading it into the van I noticed the cups were loose. I did reset them and add more grease but will change the bearings this week as obviously the 25 miles I put on it at the JT ride did the roundness of the bearings no favours. Anyway, I reset them and they worked fine and spun like new I think I will change them out for peace of mind.
I changed out the tubes but left the World Tour tyres on as I didn’t have any 35mm tyres and unfortunately I can’t get the Jack Browne 33mm ones from Planet X. I can still get World Tours like these but they don’t seem to be in the same 35mm version, seem to all be 32mm. Anyway they will need changed soon as they have a few cracks now. They did last surprisingly well on this mixed terrain undertaken today.

The more I work on and ride this beautiful machine, the more I keep finding small details that stand out. Usually not noticed until either viewed while riding or make sense when you start to work on it. Things like unbolting the front wheel and the low rider rack rails are positioned in such a way that the wheel drops straight out, no undoing guards or racks etc, once out this shows how neatly the wiring for lights and dynamo are hidden away within the rolled edge of the stainless guards, obviously the wiring is put in there when the guards are first rolled, the neat little window on the back of the front light that allows you to see that it is working, the Campagnolo vertical rear dropouts so that the wheel fits in the exact same spot each time so the dynamo needs minimal freeplay to be either on or off. It’s the little things.

After all this I was itching to get out as the forecast up here was for rain in the evening and then rain through Sunday so it was now or never.
A route out towards Loch More and Altnabreac taking in the singletrack tarmac as well as mixed dirt would test it out nicely. This was evenly split between rough singletrack tarmac, some heavily embedded blue metal logging truck dirt, of which I always do only what I have to, and some estate roads which are usually not too loose and two smoothish tyre tracks. I rode it sympathetically on the dirt but didn't baby it as my Super Clubman handles this stuff no bother. Happy to report this one is just as comfortable, stable and well handling and just a pleasure. They dynamo lights work brilliantly and there is no drag on it that I could tell on it either. Just a steady hum from it working away. I was well pleased.

I will have to put some proof ride on that B17 Brookes, as while it may be unused, it is 37 years old and I think it must of come from a cow made of concrete! Though I am sure a bit of proofride to soften it while it shapes will do the trick.
Oh and those safety levers on the brakes, which I have never been a fan of in my younger days,, they are great on the dirt, really nice when you are going quick and then hit a rough patch and don’t want to loosen your grip to reach for the levers.

So after coming back off the dirt loop I thought I would take the road all the way to the dam just a few miles further on before heading back. I looked to the west as I rounded a bend and seen the storm coming, rolling clouds with a red/pinkish hue. A couple of quick photos and then turning back to the north east I time trialled the miles across the plain back. Stayed dry too!

One issue I did have, and that was with the front derailleur which is a Shimano 600 Arabesque, the same as on my Super Clubman and runs a Stronglight chainset with 50/40 chainrings. When I rode it at the Jack Taylor weekend I couldn't get it to change onto the big ring, thought it needs a bit of adjustment as cables might be stretched. I adjusted it with the high and low screws when I did the maintenance yesterday and worked fine but on the road the chain rubs regardless of which gear on the cassette it's on, either the outside or inside edge of the front derailleur. In the middle gear it is just a tiny chinking sound but definitely a rub in the others. I did think it's weird it isn't working together but then realised it is new and when I picked it up it was clear the chain had never touched the big chainring. Will investigate further as it should work with a 50 tooth ring on a 2 X 5 speed. When looking down at it while riding it is a very narrow cage with not much to spare so will need to be setup just right to work without touching. May just need a slight realignment.

Well pleased is a massive understatement. Now for a fully loaded long weekend to Inverness and back via Tongue and Altnaharra.

There is also more photos and information over on my blog if anyone is interested. Nothing flash, just somewhere to keep all my bike ramblings.
BLOG: https://theroadlesspedalled.blogspot.com/

Jamie

Back