Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

Slower, faster, who cares?

For me and many others they bring more smiles per mile than a geared bike, and isn't that all that really matters?

I have to agree they are fun, something of a throw back to childhood when everything was so simple.

Thing is I have never had any problem fettling geared bikes, so it takes no time and doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

So I guess I see the attraction of both.

I couldn't ride a fixie though. No way.

i think a lot of it is the going back to being a kid, that is what i like about it. mine reminds me of our cow horned small racer framed 20" rear wheel bikes all our mates knocked about on when we was 11 or 12!
i think the stumphopper ss is the bike i was trying to build back then.......but didn't know it at the time!! :cool:

Mr.Toad":r43gqkua said:

For me and many others they bring more smiles per mile than a geared bike, and isn't that all that really matters?

You didn't post that to all the posters spouting that they were at least 3 times faster on their singlespeed...

hamster":27616mim said:
shogun":27616mim said:
The reality is singlespeeds, like for like when it comes to rider input are slow up, slow down, slow on the flat.

Like for like on rider input then they are faster uphill as they are lighter.

However the main point is that they are more FUN and weirdly addictive.

They make you work harder over the ride, which is a good thing if you are a time-poor middleaged bloke...like me.

Rubbish. If they are like for like, e.g. same weight they will be slower in all but exceptional circumstances. The same effort applied to selectable gearing will be faster around a given course if the terrain has any variety, there is no doubt. Mountain biking didn't just adopt gears for marketing.

Work harder on your geared bike, same difference, its a cop-out to say its only something a singlespeed can provide.

BIKES are fun and weirdly addictive. Its got SFA to do with the gears.

People make these things up as justifications to cloud the reality that they're just hopping the alternative bandwagon because they think its cool, or they just want to try something different. Nothing wrong with that! ...But making stuff up like its better because its more difficult (why did we ever progress past 50lb coaster brake beach cruisers then?), it makes you faster because you try harder (of course you go faster when you put in more effort!), or rigid forks make you a better rider (pick better lines on a technologically advanced bike and see what happens!), is just self-deception bordering on ego stroking.

Mr.Toad":2y957jwf said:

I can't say mine makes me smile. Sometimes its great, sometimes its frustrating as hell but it's definitely a toy, not a tool.

Back