Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

Chopper1192":34axgk2d said:
By what mechanism does singlespeed riding improve either cardiovascularor anaerobic fitness?
For athletes with a coach/training plan/race targets, it doesn't, they ride hard with gears or without. For people riding for fun or fitness it means they have no granny gear with to winch themselves up the next climb.
So it makes them fitter.
Or you get better at walking.

(and most SS bikes have three "gears" - Sit, Stand, Walk)

I dunno about you lot, but when I'm riding solo I'll go as fast as I can manage regardless off the bike. I don't suddenly have a change of psyche and chill just because of jumped off my SS onto a geared bike.

If you like SS bikes, of you find them appealing, then all power to you, but trying to justify it with rubbish about going quicker, getting fitter, pulling more totty etc is just laughable.

Riding a single speeds over hilly terrain could be likened to interval training. Gears give you the ability to regulate your effort if you choose to do so. In both cases you may be pushing as hard as you can but in different ways.

Interesting discussion. I'll just say that it's helped me enjoy cycling more for some of the reasons highlighted. Mostly on road and smooth trail (man made local trails and BMX) for me rather than big Rocky adventures (getting lost and broken! :D ) For sprints and blasts I love it, and the confidence of not losing a chain or checking it. I now opt for a slightly too easy gear now rather than too hard to avoid pushing my aches too hard and any impatience/potential road rage. Loved it. Enjoy the ride. on my geared modern I still only have 9 gears, almost enough... SS stops me fiddling with gears and selecting a too high torquey gear. less is more I find with SS, de clutter the mind a bit more.

My main commuter for the past few years on and off has been SS, though I'm going to build a mudguarded several geared commuter as the long loads get boring and the 2 hills can be tiring.

Chopper1192":3em93a0k said:
It could be likened to interval training if your hills are only 30 second high, and come along every minute.

I ment similar too not exactly the same as. SS forces you to vary your cadence and effort level, whereas geared cycling is more about using the gears to maintain a constant sustainable cadence and effort level, after all that's what they're there for.

MacRetro has had a strong singlespeed presence since its inception and empirically speaking the fastest guys up the hills have been the singlespeeders.

Chopper1192":hzv4b2ja said:
It could be likened to interval training if your hills are only 30 second high, and come along every minute.
30 second intervals? Man Up......... ;)

Back