Recommend a suspension fork for 1999 Kona Explosif.

Approximately what weight/travel are you looking for? Average load? £300 buys a LOT of bike right now.

They are for road and light trail use only. Nothing hardcore. I know £300 is a lot but I was castign a wide net in case a modern set popped up which would suit the '99 Explosif. Looks like an old pair of Bombers will suffice but people are asking up to £200 for them nowadays. The old '99 may have to stay on it's TB P2's sadly.

Around $200 was pretty realistic 2+ years ago, but things aren't selling like they used to. I wouldn't be afraid of offering 120 for a nice set if you see something come up on ebay.

There's loads to choose from on eBay. Marzocchi is traditional Kona fayre, plenty of Bombers in various travel & price around. Also worth looking at Fox 32RLC which has lockout eg ...

Edit: the Marzocchi lockout was called "ETA", here's a v-brake compatible set although looks like the Canti studs are not fitted (should be able to find some though)...

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The marzocchi ETA lockout also lowers the fork 1.5" or so. ETA still allows for a little travel so things don't explode.

Following on from my earlier post in a way. Please suggest a fork with V-Brake fittings to suit my 1999 Kona Explosif. I'm wanting something modern with a budget of £300. My plan is to build a low cost XC bike based on the 1999 Explosif for me to get back into my cycling. The fork can be brand new or at least more recent. I'm not wanting to buy anything old which will need too much work. Lock out would be nice but not essential. Basically what's the best XC fork I can get for £300 or less that will suit the 1999 Explosif. I have always used TB P2's but as I'm a little older now I'd like something to help with comfort on the trail. I'm not going to be riding extreme downhill, just XC / gravel / single track.

Update: I'm wanting a fork which is V-Brake compatible, NOT disk brake :)

All Marzocchi's will do the trick, there are lot's on the market. Rock solid. Full seals support(!).
Also a lot of parts are available. Easy to service, most of documents can be found online, cool community (FB is most active).

Check my Marzocchi Manuals Repository : https://public-repository.org/

Back