Rhetorical Single Speed Question

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
For fun only.
I've recently replaced the front wheel on one of my 26er SS' with a 29er fork and wheel making it in affect a 69er, narf narf.
It's well known that 29ers need lower gearing so I was expecting to fit a bigger cog at the rear to accommodate the change, but no, the climbs are no more than the same old pain fest that they always were. In fact now I can get a little higher before having to stop to "enjoy the view".
This doesn't make sense, If I'd increased the size of only the back wheel and kept the same gearing climbs would be much harder.
Can any one explain 'cos I can't? :rolleyes:

That is really odd as making the front wheel bigger has actually made the hills steeper! 🫣

Yup, maybe there's an element of "New Bike Syndrome".

Not to muddy the waters but I replaced the 160mm travel 26er fork with a 100mm travel 29er fork which "compensated" for the bigger wheel. I measured the bike at the time and the ground to crown was almost the same. Complicatider and complicatider,:confused:

There's an effect where if you spend a load of money (or time and effort or all 3 obvs) on your bike it performs better and rides faster.

I've studied this for years - the performance improvement is way in excess of what the physical advantages can deliver.

Basically your motivation has been boosted , so you're working harder - getting more physical output at the same mental input.

One of those things you get specifically with a bike -

if you make it work a little better, you're happy pushing it a bit further, so there's an enormous improvement -
but most of it is The Rider.

Back