Raleigh Eclat build

Dmariner

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

This is my first post - I’m potentially picking up a couple of retro Raleigh’s I know one is a record sprint but not sure on the other. One for me one for the mrs.

I’m planning on stripping them down and starting them up a bit. I’ve always wanted a single speed do it all retro bike.

So questions what do I need to make it a single speed (noobie so no tech mumbo jumbo)

Also max tyre clearance so I get get some wider tyres… we have a nice gravel canal here.

Thanks again

Hi and welcome to the forum,
The easiest way to convert to single speed would be to choose which front chainring you wish to retain and remove the other, you might need to get shorter chainring bolts for a single ring. Remove the front and rear derailleurs, retain all of the rear sprockets and shorten the chain to go around whichever rear sprocket you decide to use, this is the most simple method and will cost nothing apart from some chainring bolts and it will allow you to experiment with different sprockets and find which one suits your riding the best or even change the gearing to suit your route.
I see the spec sheet for Record Sprint says narrow section wheels so you could be limited on choice of tyres as the frame and forks might not have the clearance for anything much wider than standard.

Thanks for the reply. Removing one of the front chainrings is a good idea. I like the idea of it being hassle free low maintenance. I like a simple life.

so would I have to constantly adjust the chain length depending on what sprocket I wanted to ride in?

so would I have to constantly adjust the chain length depending on what sprocket I wanted to ride in?

You should be able to move it backwards and forwards in the rear dropouts within reason and get the correct chain tension on at least a couple of sprockets but yes to go any further would require that and when you decide the gearing that suits you best you can leave it on that one.

You could just ride as is for a while and note what cogs you 'need'. I have one S/S and need to hop off for one or two relatively minor hills, but wouldn't want to swap out and lose the speed. I think you'd struggle to get much more than 30mm in a Record Sprint, but I am having a coffee so can't check.

You could just ride as is for a while and note what cogs you 'need'. I have one S/S and need to hop off for one or two relatively minor hills, but wouldn't want to swap out and lose the speed. I think you'd struggle to get much more than 30mm in a Record Sprint, but I am having a coffee so can't check.
Caffeine first my man. Appreciate the reply!

Maybe I’m being a bit too hipster with the single speed I just like the idea of it. 30mm gravel tyres? I’ll get browsing

….. also how would I find out things like stem diameter or are they universal? I’m planning this build before I’ve got the darn thing and have minimal tools…. Think I’ll be on here a fair bit with questions 😬

….. also how would I find out things like stem diameter or are they universal? I’m planning this build before I’ve got the darn thing and have minimal tools…. Think I’ll be on here a fair bit with questions 😬

Stems on this type of bike are nearly all 22.2mm and probably made by Sakae Ringyo sometimes marked SR, they made a wide range of stems of various heights and reach and are available second hand on your favourite market site for a reasonable price, the Record Sprint came with silver, black or gold depending on year but expect to only find silver, the other colours are rare.

Maybe I’m being a bit too hipster with the single speed I just like the idea of it.

It's a phase many of us have gone through, before realising that with wind and hills it's actually rather nice to have a few extra gears.

So have at it, but don't remove your derailleur hanger just yet. ;)

Also, on a Record Sprint you want as many gold parts as you can get. :cool:

Yeah lots of gold is a must….

I’ve just seen a bit more local a Raleigh royal touring in good condition.

Thoughts on the two compared?

Back