Raleigh Eclat build

Yep it’s an Eclat! First ride today and loved it so smooth and quiet! There is some tatty bits like the crank arms which originally white are battered so I need to replace those and I’d like a single chainring at the front to clean it up a bit.

The brake hoods are battered too so I’m thinking of just going flat bar and finger lever brakes.

Will any crankset fit on the current BB? Ideally don’t want to change the bottom bracket as it was so smooth.

Will any crankset fit on the current BB? Ideally don’t want to change the bottom bracket as it was so smooth.

Most square taper cranks will fit on that spindle. However, because of differences between cranks and between tapers (JIS, ISO, French, ...) the chain ring may be more or less outward than it is now. This, and the position of the rear cog, will affect your chain line.

And no, I don't know what crank will give you a perfect chain line. Sorry. :(

I would think most square-taper single cranksets will work fine (being Shimano, this will be on a JIS bottom bracket, which most single cranksets will also be), although it's worth measuring the spindle length once you've taken the cranks off before you buy, just to be on the safe side, I suppose.

It'll also look a lot nicer if you keep the drop bars, in my opinion ;) The white hoods on those levers always get manky, but getting similar replacement levers with black hoods is easy enough.

Here is the original from a 91’ catalogue my plan is to build her up with new parts in the same colour scheme (white seat 🤮) but with a more modern theme as a do it all comfort cruiser. Recommendations welcome
IMG_5552.jpeg

Back