Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

cyfa2809":31mlw446 said:
Is that so? How slack per se should it be run then?
Ive never had mine dead tight as it sounds all 'crunchy' then and you know something isnt right.
As per the piccy is ideal. A touch tighter maybe, and it could easily be run a lot looser.
If you can't roll the chain off the cog/ring without removing the wheel, it's tight enough.

suburbanreuben":tn9b1t0g said:
The biggest cause of chain stretch is running the chain too tight. The number of singlespeeds I see on here with perfectly straight chains from cog to ring; blimus!
Run looser, like on my Solitaire, they last forever...

But under load (which is surely when the wear occurs) the top run of the chain is as tight as, well you know, a very tight thing (so actually under tension, then) and the bottom run will then be even looser than it appears to be when the bike is "at rest", so to speak.
My view on this is to run the chain as slack-free as possible but without there being any noticeable drag - so that if you spin the cranks backwards they'll spin for a couple of revolutions.
I would suspect that the reason that you are of the opinion that loose chains last longer is because any incremental wear is less easily spotted than if the chain was run at the sort of tension that I use. Otherwise, unless we're talking about stupid amounts of actual tension (not just taking up slack), I can't see why it would make any difference as the tension in the top run of the chain will be the same for a given loading.

More attractive to the opposite sex. Check
Massive calves. Check
Ability to grow bushy beard. Check
Rad super gnarly godlike riding skillz. Check

You see, it all makes sense. ;)

I'm going to rebuild my old Beast of the East as a single speed partly because I'd like to try it and partly because it'll be cheaper.

I'm in the process of collecting bits. So far I've got some '97 Z3 Lights, Race Face headset, Race Face North Shore cranks, Race Face post, old school Hope Bulb hubs, Flite saddle and M952 v brake levers. Plan is to get the frame powder coated in metallic grey next month and get it going shortly.

Not sure what to do with regards to a chain tensioner though.

Back