Raleigh Record Sprint - Teenage kicks

And so, having sorted the rear wheel lacing trouble, I now find the axle is 8mm too long for the frame. This is what comes of mix'n'match from 3 different bicycles. Ah well, out comes the Angel Grindr..

The 120 or 122 on the Helicomatic, which came form the Quaser, fits it nicely. The 128mm axle is virtually inpossible to get in without serious bending of the stays. Certainly not usable for a roadside wheel out. The 6 speed freewheel is way off line too, with the cranks.
The hub with the 128mm axle came from the first Record Sprint, the small framed one, and was tight in that too.

Well the axle fits lovely in the frame. The freewheel lines up with the chainset. The milk was cold and even the light worked when you opened the door.

Got to re-dish the chuffing wheel now, aint I?

I rode it yesterday!!! I say "rode" , it was about 12 yards. For something that was my day to day passion for over 20 years, it suddenly felt so insubstantial and awkward. I felt like I was about to fall over the front wheel. I was only trundling along but didn't dare use the brakes in case I did go over.
Its very odd how so much has changed. Even my P7 feels skittish and I used to ride things on that that I don't dare to now, on my massive full-sus e-bike.

It's you that's changed. Let's face it - few of us are the people we used to be.
Changes aren't just physical, they're mental too, as in maturity developing a heightened awareness of physical injury. In my younger years I would ride on all sorts of surfaces in all sorts of conditions without a care in the world but these days if I hear the crunch of gravel under my tires I near sh*t myself.

And so it is done, and consigned to the Ceiling of Nostalgia.
An amalgam of three separate bikes. The only brand new parts are the brake cable inners, and the spokes and nipples. I went DT DB on those which is not original spec, but it was one of the first things I changed when I had the bike back in the mid-'80s.

I feel like I had the bike for a long time, but if it was really 1986, then by 88 I had bought my first MTB. There must have been a crossover period before I finally gave up road bikes for good. After repatriating it from my Dad's shed, sometime in the 90s, complete with trashed frame. I then rebuilt it all with the Raleigh 531 frame my brother reluctantly had to give me as recompense, and 600 gruppo. Of course by that point, it was probaby only the bars and saddle from the original Record Sprint.

Still, all in all an enjoyable rebuild/resto and not too expensive. Probably under £300 all in.

IMG_E6027.JPG IMG_E6029.JPG IMG_E6031.JPG IMG_E6032.JPG IMG_E6033.JPG IMG_E6037.JPG

Now all I need to complete the set is;
Cinelli Vertical Rampichino
Saracen Tufftrax 88
Kalkhoff Coupe du Monde
Raleigh Chopper
Raleigh Chipper
One of those tricyles with a metal bread bin on the back.
A pram (unspecified)

"One of those tricyles with a metal bread bin on the back."

I had one of those. Even at an early age I learnt that if you leaned over far enough, and kept correcting with the steering, you could ride around on just the front and one of the back wheels!

Back