Raleigh Record Sprint - Teenage kicks

A "suitably sized spigotted spotface cutter" ?
That's a sentence I've never heard before. Every day is a school day. Those are both good ideas but the eyelets are curved, torusses (torii?) if you will. So such tools as those would only removed a bit from the very crest of the eyelet.
I'm pondering now if I should make a metal shield, curved to sit in the concave rim with a hole just big enough for the eyelet then use a Dremwl and wire/plastic brush to take off the PPC without touching the rim. It will polish it at same time too.
I will investigate later before the weather makes the garage feel like a Japanese POW sweat box.

Also ... can sprockets be taken off a freewheel outer body?
I've got one freewheel with lovely bearings and one where the lockring jams a bit. I've been trying to clean up the thread to get it to screw back on smoothly, (one of the lug slots has been deformed slightly on the lip of the thread) but I'm wondering if its easier to swap the gold and grey sprockets from one to t'other whilst leaving the bodies and bearing surfaces as they are?

This would suggest I can whip the whips out and get the sprockets off.
jp1sb.jpg

Yes, yes they can. You'll probably find that the top few sprockets thread on while the others are splined. Unless it's a Regina Extra freewheel - they were all threaded, with the bottom two having left hand threads so unscrew towards the hub side of the freewheel.

On Sunday, I made a tool (Haynes manual "...or you may wish to fabricate your own tool") for the Suntour lockrings, so I could tighten them down off the wheel.
The ends of that bit of angle, I flattened in the vice by using a length of scaffold pole to turn the handle. I didn't need to flatten them but I just thought it would look better. Of course, immediately I realised I can't use the tool when the freewheel is on the wheel, which I would need to undo a ring. However,

Today is the first day I've been able to get out of bed and sit at my PC. Latissimus dorsi, sounds like a coffee but is a *****d back muscle.

Attachments

• IMG_5219.JPG
    IMG_5219.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 8
Raleigh Quasar used the same wheels I think. There's one on Facebook at the moment that looks like it has clean rims although the pictures are next to useless.

Whole bike 40quid, in Harrogate

I ain’t doing nuffink right now. I’m tanked up on prescription meds like a spa-town ladyboy.

Last edited:
Well, the Quaser worked out OK. Good rims, mint Tange MA60 headset, plus some other bits to sell.
The first small framed Record Sprint was sold today. That ended up being a dead end but I've more or less (less, its less isn't it? Else you'd not say it) got my money back on it.

Work so far. Rear Maillard cones tidied up on the mini-mini lathe. Its not quitebuttery smooth, but it's not swarfega with sharp sand in either.

Attachments

• IMG_5493.JPG
    IMG_5493.JPG
    716.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 15
Back