Raleigh "not a Stratos" any help what frame it is?

Found another one, same again apart from the fork. This one dates from November 1980 with the we won the Tdf sticker. Have you bought it, how did you manage to find it? Looking forward to hearing about it's history and the stock Raleigh components requisitioned for the build 👍

Like big red buses...😀

So, looking at the bikes that have been posted so far. it could be a Record Ace, a Professional or a Competition and it looks like Raleigh were really milking the TdF win to get the French sales!
There appears to be 2 different "heart" shaped lug cut-out designs - narrow and wide. Wonder if this differed between models or production years?
I'll get some better pics when I see the bike but the owner's away for a week or so. I don't think he'll sell it on yet, he'd like to get some correct decals on it - if we can make a decision.
There's a couple of 80s Competitions on Ebay at the moment asking big prices.

So, looking at the bikes that have been posted so far. it could be a Record Ace, a Professional or a Competition and it looks like Raleigh were really milking the TdF win to get the French sales!
There appears to be 2 different "heart" shaped lug cut-out designs - narrow and wide. Wonder if this differed between models or production years?
I'll get some better pics when I see the bike but the owner's away for a week or so. I don't think he'll sell it on yet, he'd like to get some correct decals on it - if we can make a decision.
There's a couple of 80s Competitions on Ebay at the moment asking big prices.
Definitely not a Professional frame. They seemed to change the frame models though with the earlier Record Ace frame with the Campagnolo dropouts and mudguard eyes became the Rapide with the short lugs, Vitus dropouts and same fork a yours. It would be a shame to lose the bikes original decals as maybe this was so it wouldn't raise any eyebrows 🤔

Had a quick look at the bike a couple of days ago and the rear drop-outs are definately Vitus,the gears are Suntour Cyclone.
Everything matches a Competition from 82 except the bare cable clips on top of the top tube - and of course the forks which appear to be Carlton.

Back