Raleigh Record Sprint - Teenage kicks

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
In a fit of nostalgia and a lot of driving, I appear to have purchased two Raleigh record Sprints. I intend to retro build the one I had, the one my brother wrecked for me by dropping a B&D Workmate on it and denting the top and down tubes.
The bigger one (my size) is mint condition, all original but has the wrong rims, the smaller a bit scratched and with some mismatched parts.

IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4896.JPG

The smaller bike has the correct concave rims which I would like to rebuild onto the other hubs.
However, when brand new, were the rims all black or were the braking surfaces exposed?
Anyone got any catalogue images please?
It was nigh on 40 years ago that my parents bought me this bike so I can't remember such details now.

I was thinking to get the concave rims powder coated all black again, covering the eyelets of course. The bike would be a wall hanger (well ceiling in garage really) so pointless powdercoating only to be worn off would not be a factor until I am dead.

Also, should I keep the as sold reflectors on?
I never did at the time. Its not very "12 speed racer" is it, or does originality count more?

I downloaded some catalogue images and am now unsure of the year. It seems the 1983 model had round tubes and less "futuristic" graphics, but the ovalised tubing came in 84 but with an all gold chainset. 1987 had the black chainrings gold arms but back to round tubes again. I must have got it in 85 at the latest though, as i had it long before leaving school.

Might be of interest...looks a little rough but has most of its gold bits...esp the wheelset!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Brings back so many fond memories 😍

Ah, there it is at last. 1985. That would check out. I was 16, strong enough to snap the rear spoke-heads on a steep climb when I learned to pull up on the pedals at the same time as pressing down.
I had to dismantle wheel and countersink the Maillard hub. Learning to rebuild from Rob Van Der Plas's Penguin Bicycle Handbook.

Then I did it all again with DB spokes, then again with Shimano 600 hubs and Wolber 18 Profil rims.

Raleigh 85.jpg

The rims were all black, until you used the blocks AT ALL after which they gradually became bloody awful.

If rebuilding I'd refinish the braking surfaces in silver. I think that's what I did with mine, but can't remember :D

ETA yes, I refinished mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 13.42.01.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 13.42.01.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Ah nice. In the meantime though, I've had the rims powder coated black which unfortunately has covered the eyelets too. I'm now pondering if I can make a little metal shield that would expose the eyelet so I can dab a bit of Nitromors on just the eyelet, one by one and then gently rub away the powder coating.

What bar tape did you use?
I can get classic black cloth of course, but I'm pondering whether a black plastic was original.

I doubt that modern Nitromors will touch powder coat, you're more likely to have to use something abrasive, which then runs a risk of damaging other areas of the finish.

It did on the powder coating debacle that was Romax of Stockton and the San Andreas frame. But I did dob it on there.

Back