Another Claud Butler Majestc

Tobias Rodriguez

Dirt Disciple
A recent eBay purchase I had to make room for. I’m never happy tinkering with just one bike 🤣 This 1979 Claud Butler Majestic looks to be all original except for the usual replacements, bar tape, cables, tyres and saddle. She is very clean but does have some paint damage to the top tube and other places.

The seller said he thinks the rims have been replaced, they do look clean compared to the hubs and spokes but they are Staral, I believe this year model, Staral were spec. The hoods fit poorly and impede the stroke of the levers so they will be replaced. I bought some Raleigh tyres and fitted them today, the tyres she came with were new but were cheapies.

Quick run down…

531 frame tubes and forks finished I think in Sky Blue Flamboyant
27 inch rims on Sunshine hubs
GB stem and bars
Weinmann levers and center pull brakes
Birmalux seat post
Brooks B17 saddle
SR Silstar chainset
Atom 600 pedals
Hurry Allvit front and rear derailleurs, shifters
Christophe toe clips with Gran Premio straps
Claud Butler rack
Esge mudguards

I have removed the rack and mudguards and I think they will stay off for the spring/summer. The white bar tape will be replaced with black because it’s already grubby from handling. It was spotless when she arrived. I’m very tempted to swap the Huret gear set for the 600 Arabesque earmarked for the ROB, it probably suits this bike better as it is the right period for the Claud Butler. I’ll hold fire on that for now. The later models use the lovely Suntour VX gear set, that would be a nice upgrade and much better looking in my opinion

Here’s a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1280.jpeg
    IMG_1280.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1278.jpeg
    IMG_1278.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 33
Ok, update… I don’t think the decals or the badge are original, they are too bright and mostly unmarked. The Leisure Wheels decal is original, it predates the current Leisure Wheels bike shop which opened in 1985. I contacted the shop and their director Dan Busson varified that the Leisure Wheels name was purchased in 1985. Leisure Wheels was previously J.H.Moore. Both shops were located at the address on my bikes sticker (Rickmansworth) The current Leisure Wheels is and was always located in Hemel Hempstead. Dan told me he used to work at Moore’s and Leisre Wheels on Saturdays. Pretty cool.

The Claud Butler decal on the top tube had some damage, after a closer inspection I noticed loose paint and slight bubbling beneath the decal. I decided to remove it and see what nasties it was hiding. Well, it revealed lots of chips and paint loss, some came off with the decal. There’s a light dusting of rust too. So this old girl isn’t as clean as I first thought. Solution, I’m not into touch ups or refinishing so I’m thinking a top tube protector to cover it all up when it has been treated.

Pics to follow 👍🏼

I started watching these on eBay and an offer popped up so I bought one. I might lose the Claud Butler down tube and Majestic decals and replace them for the more attractive versions in gold. Classic block for the down tube and script for the Majestic.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4
Saturday update… Today I fitted a nice and clean Shimano Altus gear set that I bought cheaply. The Huret bits cleaned up well enough but I really didn’t like the look of them. I read the Altus equipment was aimed at the leisure market so I probably haven’t gained any performance and may have downgraded but it looks great on the bike. I’m waiting for a Shimano cable guide and stop to arrive before I can hook everything up.

Over the last few weeks I have cleaned and refitted the chainset, removed the handlebar tape and buffed the exposed sections and stem ready for fresh tape. The left lever has some issues returning, if it’s the cable, routing or the poorly fitting hoods I’ll sort it, if not I’ve got some non qr Weinmann levers I can use. The top tube protector fits like a glove but I still need to treat the rust before leaving it in place. I also bought a very clean SR Laprade post but the rails on the Brooks saddle don’t want to sit in place properly, I’ll have a think on that.

No pics yet, I’ll save those until it’s finished, which will hopefully be soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 3
The saddle is now sitting pretty on the Laprade post, which is now inserted into the frame to the minimum mark. The height will be fine tuned when the pedals are back on.

Latest posts

Back