Mystery Sports Frame 30's 40's HELP!

Re:

I wonder if it was painted originally or enamelled? Flamboyant colours would of had a silver base coat.

Simon

Thanks - I didn't know that about flamboyants...makes sense though.

I do wonder if it's been treated though because it came up quite shiny. Certainly evidence of a coating (probably chrome) to the forks but partially rubbed away.

I couldn't see any evidence of a primer under the red paint but just took it that the frame had been well stripped

Just seeing if this works....should be an image of how it came to me

Attachments

• Red Sports.JPG
    Red Sports.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 508
Re:

That works! Alot of manufacturers used to rust proof frames and forks. One reason they survive today and glad they did! Reynolds tubing or Accles and Polock had alloys or magnesium in their tubing which helps for lightness and strength. Flamboyant colours were a silver base with a translucent colour over the top. My Grubb has it in red and all original still.

Simon

Seller (lovely bike nut) told me it was AW9 so 1939 but as he said, that doesn't prove anything. Also, the rim was stamped Raleigh so doubt it's original. I do feel that could be the right year though

As you can see components were a mixed bag of 50's 60's. Even the saddle was a bit of sofa tied to a Norman (??) frame

"Reynolds tubing or Accles and Polock had alloys or magnesium in their tubing which helps for lightness and strength"

Yep, it does look different to the steel in later frames I have stripped.

Any more thoughts on what it could be? The frame number is certainly swaying me toward Evans

Re:

Still have no idea. Evans possible, Triumph would have a T at the beginning. Sunbeam think had an S? Raleigh had letters. Norman? Will have a look at.

Simon

Back