Any ideas?? Warwick of Birmingham Pre-War

That's a very nice Grubb, Simon - and yeah, like the Middletons a lot. Look a lot like Marsh...
Paint original - wow. That's amazing.

Are those 27" wheels?? I have a GA (supposedly 1935), also with Resilions. Original 597 size wheels and lots of clearance. Very different in geometry from yours.

When did Grubb start using pencil stays? They started using 531 in 1937/1938 - so I guess yours is 531 ;)
Probably impossible to date, VCC marque enthusiast?

Cheers, R

Re:

When I got it the previous owner said it was 38. I've asked Norman Kilgariff and he said 49??? Asked on the V-CC and they said 46 but I'm certain its prewar. Chater lea headset and BB. The stem is hollow. Wheels are 27 x 1 1/4 Dunlop special lightweights with featherweight Bayliss Wiley hubs. Sturmey wing nuts are rare. Lytaloy lamp bracket too. Changed the handlebars to Middleton bars with NOS grips. Williams cainring was 38 but a 39 one now. Serial number is 2144 and one thing Norman said was there were 3 bikes made with the same serial number. 1924, 1949 and somewhere in-between so a mystery still. Can't upload the post on here I have for some reason. Yes its 531 tubing.

Simon

Re:

They look like Middleton. Same stem also. I found the patent number history on the stem design. Cool to see them. Price seems high though.

Simon

Re:

Found this really helpful for checking UK patent numbers.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151022_0002compressed(2).jpg
    wp_ss_20151022_0002compressed(2).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 338
Re:

The stem came with the Grubb and its Espace.net for a patent search. Found a few parts, information and who applied for patents.

Going back to your picture at the beginning. Is that a bracket on the seat stays, Sully?

....I had to go back to the pics to check?!

Yes, there's a bracket on one of the stays. Looks quite small so a reflector or light?

There's also an old leather belt which is handy.

Re:

Can't quite see, on mobile phone but wondered if it was a trades bike? Hooking up a small trailer or something. Wish my grandfather was still alive, he was from Birmingham and bike mad.

Simon

Yes, your grandfather may well have remembered them.

Trailer idea would have been nice. It could have gone well with the early 1900's Triumph delivery tricycle I'm working on.

Back