Mystery Sports Frame 30's 40's HELP!

Re:

I'm in Ruislip so just up the road, Sully. Could pop over at some point by all means. Will add you on here.

Simon.

It could just as well be a BSA or a Triumph. Scores of bikes of that era used those lugs. I think there are a couple of things that will help you identify it.
-It's wearing 1930s fittings (like the mudguard fittings) and it has a head clip. Head clips were all but obsolete by the 40s. I think this is a good enough indicator that it is a late 30s frame. The angles are not that slack, so I think it's not early 30s. I see what looks like chrome on the fork tips and stays. This tells us that it's probably not a wartime frame because chrome was scarce then and less common on bike frames. You tend to see it pre-war and then some time after, but not during war years.
-You say it's Reynolds 531 - how have you identified that? If it is, then it will narrow down the builders. for that era, the seatpost should be 26.8mm for Reynolds 531. 27mm and 27.2mm was later Reynolds 531.
-If it is 531, it doesn't have modified 'fancy' lugs. A lot of hand built bikes (lightweights) had modified lugs, while probably all factory built bikes had standard lugs.
-The tops of the stays were another place where the makers were able to distinguish their bikes from the competition. If you can spot which builder did that to their their seat stays then it might help.

I think it's a factory built bike. Almost certainly a BSA, Sunbeam, Triumph, Sun etc if it is. It could well be that Sunbeam since it's got the Cyclo gear hanger.

Thanks Jonny. Great insights and brought me back to basics.

531? How foolish would I sound if I said it was from the sound of the tubes when pinged? Let's move on then.
Yep, measured and it looks like 26.8

Agreed on factory build I think. It's all pretty generic. Lugs have been filed down but that would have been pretty standard I imagine.

The Sunbeam was my initial pick but....

It's the frame number that's really slowing me down. On top of the seat lug??

Thanks HW...saw that lovely frame.

The oil ports do seem to match and the top of the seat stays matches however, as you pointed out, no sign of the Evans dropouts. The head lug finishing differs as well....mine hasn't been modified. Incidentally I haven't come across one with Russ type forks either.

The 4597 code fits perfectly with Evans though placing it around 1939. Perhaps the 9 prefix just reflects that?

(By limited help I'll take it that you are happy to let me move in until this is solved. Very grateful. I'll be there around tea time)

Perhaps of interest, I've finished cleaning her today and have found traces of a lovely blue colour hidden in the nooks and crannies. May have just been a previous respray (before the red) but thought I would share

A few more pics now that she's a bit cleaner.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sullebhain/embed/slideshow/Mystery%20Sports%20Frame%2030s%2040s"></iframe>

Back