modern Bikes?

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":22jounh5 said:
I don't find 'modern' bikes more complicated at all.

I also think Al is a beautiful man.
He is indeed, a very beautiful man.

And for a few moments, reading this thread, I thought I was having a psychotic break - Al was writing stuff from my head, but I was reasonably sure I hadn't hacked his password and was posting as him.

Or maybe he's the third personality in there, when I'm not Cornelius at weekends.

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":1p8mzry4 said:
To much choice to confuse the punter! Much like modern cars. Nothing wrong with it, but too much choice instigates fear and people stick with what they know best! Manufacturers are running out of ideas and literally trying to reinvent the wheel! If it ain't broke why fix it?

How about this. The wheel sizes matter 2/19ths of bugger-all.
Buy something that fits you and feels right, have a test ride of a few things with an open mind. There are good and bad in all wheel sizes and styles of bike. Bikes are different because of progress, practically none of it has gone backward though.

People chunter on that they're heavier (they're really not), that they're more complex and harder to fix (they really don't break), that the new drivetrains are too fine for shit and corruption (utter, total tosh), that disc brakes don't work as well as 'well set up cantis' (with a 200 page dissertation on why), and the perennial one, that in their wildest towpath and bridleway fantasies they beat people on flash new bikes (who weren't trying) every time they go out despite being an unfit old codger on an ancient Muddy Fox Courier, and have a good old belly laugh for afters.

if 29's roll better in stright lines
thats great for most folk as most mtbs are used on the road as comute an shopping bikes

but if there less nimble in turns well that would kinda do my head in a bit on black runs

an i read they climb well but they make you feel higher up on the way down aka lofty

id still love to try them 1day but im not losing any sleep over it

lay off the chocs full of cheap soya crap an salt an sugar mind you so is the rubish they call bread these days unless you go to a proper baker,who would not use crappy soya flour if you paid them.

"I bet you could make 20p each easily if you split a six pack and sold them outside schools at break time.... You could probably sell a bit of weed, individual cigarettes and nuddy mags too?"

sounds just like my old school

nipping over the shops for 10 berkley barge polls(99p) fags selling for 50p each or 3 for £1 near the tennis courts :O)

found a large amount of jazz mags an videos in a open bin bag at the back of the methodist church kept the penthouse an club,

took all the razzle (afro muff pile ups centre fold ha) fiesta an escourt an electric blue into school they went for a quid each ah great days :)

'Black runs' are the kind of thing you do on bikes with 66° head angles now, I seriously doubt 29" wheels are a big impediment, mine shreds. Nimble is for the towpath and the beginner loops.
I thought I'd never ride a 29er, then I rode a good one, and I bought it. My one steers just as well as the 26" bike it replaced, but line choice is a little different for sure; upside being you can carry considerably more speed in most corners. The only place it falls down is if you get waaaaaaay out of line and out of shape, blow through the back of a soft berm, land off trail etc and need to spin back up to pace. In that situation it's harder work.

A good bike is good regardless of wheel size and that is seriously where it should end. If it feels pony, it is pony.

Latest posts

Back