New bike recommendations wanted

I’ve looked at Starling and Cotic and have also looked a little at Marino, on Instagram.

Because I’ve never had rear suspension and never really thought about it I don’t really know about the types and pros/cons of them!
I was doing a lot of reading lately, but the fundamentals did not really change in the last 10 years (last time I was really "into it")

Horst Link type back ends are smooth and provide a largely de- coupled rear brake (suspension does not firm up during braking)

Single pivot feels more natural/linear (to me), depending if it´s linkage driven (like Cotic) or directly (like Orange). Braking will firm up the suspension.

DW Link (like Santa Cruz´s VPP) give a more stable pedal platform and suspesnion firms less up during braking.

Pedal feedback (suspension action is felt in the pedals) can be noticable for all three depending on pivot location.

Bottom line for me is that all three have matured to a high level of sophistication so as an average rider I can´t go wrong with either of the choices. And modern shocks really have the adjustability to counter certain negative aspects of each system. Single pivot for me largely due to natural feel and ease of maintenace.

I´m also seriously debating if I should go with coil suspension after riding a friend´s bike. Night and day difference in smoothness.

I have a bit of brand allegiance to Chromag and was considering their Darco as an option for a complete off the shelf bike. I’ve only read a couple of reviews so far but it’s seems to be up my street. My lack of knowledge certainly doesn’t help any informed decision making though!

I have a bit of brand allegiance to Chromag and was considering their Darco as an option for a complete off the shelf bike. I’ve only read a couple of reviews so far but it’s seems to be up my street. My lack of knowledge certainly doesn’t help any informed decision making though!

Read the reviews when it came out and honestly I don’t think it’s for you. Don’t be fooled by the 120mm rear travel, this is an aggressive bike. In the m/l size it’s bigger than my large Sentinel and that’s a big bike. Bikes like these are amazing on the right terrain but hard work on the wrong terrain. Be honest with yourself about the types of trails you’ll use it on. No bike is perfect, it’s about finding the bike that’s perfect for the 90% of what you ride.

Sure is a nice bike, but weight is excessive for a short travel trailbike IMHO. The Pinkbike review stated the whole bike as 16.9kg, that´s DH rig territory. I´m contradicting myself a bit as I stated above that weight is not a big deal, but this bike weighs 2kg more than the full on Enduro specced Orange 6 I rode.

This is the kind of advice I need, thanks both 🙂

I’m not sure that it’s relevant but this is what I currently use for all non retro duties

IMG_2691.jpeg

Chromag weren’t 100% sure but I reckon about 2010

Archive only goes back to 2014, but even that bike is short and steep by trail standards today. Top tube length is the only just longer than the reach on the same sized Darco!

So many overlapping bike descriptions these days, but from the little I know (never having met you) it sounds like you should be looking in the "Downcountry" category. These are 120mm ish but with slacker geometry. It's the descriptor that's the closest to what those of us that have been around a while would have called XC. Today XC is means for XC racing.

As far as weight goes, until you get down to carbon everything, weight can be very similar for different categories. Frames are very similar weights and components don't differ that much. Even the difference between a 120mm SID and my 160mm Fox 36 is only 500g. Most weight differences come down to wheel and tyre choice. My friends Flaremax (140mm/120mm) weighs the same as my Sentinel (160mm/150mm) when I'm using my carbon wheels and light tyres. The "enduro" wheels with tougher tyres and inserts adds 1.3kg. Shorter travel bikes can also be toughened up a lot with a simple tyre change.

Downcountry eh 🤔😂 Oh well, whatever they want to call it, that sounds about right. Shorter travel and slacker geometry is what I think I’m after.
I’m still thinking steel frame. It’s the one thing I’d like to hold out for, for no other reason than that’s what I fancy! I appreciate that’ll greatly narrow down the options, but that doesn’t need to be a bad thing right?
I’m no lightweight and I’m not too concerned about the weight of the bike, within reason. Strong and functional are more important to me.

Back