New bike recommendations wanted

One thing i would say, having done it myself, is that it's easy to overbike yourself. Lots of modern bikes are very capable and neutral (in a good way if you're pointing them down steep stuff with drops) but frankly dull if you love ripping tight track or xc pottering. I've gone back to riding fully rigid 26" and my cross bikes.

I'm roughly the same height as you Adrian and have been won over by 29", I figured that if I'm going to have bigger wheels might as well go all out. Steel full suss is a bit limiting and also going to be fairly boutique, 5k won't go that far new although I'm sure you'd get a reasonably specced Cotic for that. Probably a bit of a boring suggestion but if you could bring yourself to deal with aluminium then you can't really go wrong with a Trek Fuel EX, I had the last gen version and it was a great all rounder, good at trail centres and in the Alps without feeling like too much bike on tame home trails. The newest version gets great reviews but does seem to have gone up a level in burliness though so maybe look at the Top Fuel instead.
Treks are boring but they're good bikes and there are plenty about second hand as well.

Thanks Ben, all helpful stuff. I think my main reason for choosing steel is simply because it’s my favourite material for a bike frame, and if I’m going to spend that much money I should get something I like 😂 Budget of course comes into it but I’d be happy with a bike that’s a couple of years old and been looked after

Thanks Ben, all helpful stuff. I think my main reason for choosing steel is simply because it’s my favourite material for a bike frame, and if I’m going to spend that much money I should get something I like 😂 Budget of course comes into it but I’d be happy with a bike that’s a couple of years old and been looked after
That's fair enough :) I don't think you'd go wrong with a Cotic although that's based on Internet opinion, not having ridden one myself.
It's worth baring in mind that the things that make a steel hardtail great (and they are, it's also my favourite for a hardtail) don't necessarily translate over to full suss. I'd also try to demo one if at all possible. While at the end of the day it's still a bike, things like bar width/height, stem length and geometry in general make them feel quite different to the old stuff. Give it a chance, it's easy to dismiss because it doesn't feel familiar, but once it clicks they are undoubtedly faster in most situations and more confidence inspiring than the old stuff. Dropper posts are bloody brilliant for example, one of those things I deemed pointless till I actually tried one, some places that gets used more than the gears.

I´m in a similar situation after a test ride of an Orange Stage 6 Evo (150/140 travel) a friend put me on after I complained that the trails here are quite sketchy to ride on my current "modern" bike, a 2013 Santa Cruz Superlight (120/100 travel). While the bike´s travel and geometry certainly also made a difference, it was clear that the wheel size (29", 2.4) was most noticable for me. The level of grip and the ability to roll over much more stuff than the 26er were quite a revelation. Trails where I jackhammered before with clenched teeth were suddenly enjoyable.

I can only echo what benjabbi said: test ride before you decide. And I mean not only bikes you´d consider purchasing, but really anything modern (long reach, short stem, slack head angle, steep seat angle) to get a feel for what you really want/need. I mean (up to) 5k is a not insignificant purchase, so I´d want to make sure that what I get is exactly what I want. I thought before the Orange would be a slug with nearly 15kg, except it wasn´t that big of a deal. The question for me right now is if I really need 140mm travel in the rear. Trails around where I live are not that demanding so to really use such a bike I have to load it in the car and drive 30-50km. OTOH, that ´s what I do with the Santa Cruz also. Around my house I prefer to ride my retro bikes.

Lastly, bikes I am considering are mostly british and single pivot (I found linkage suspension to feel a bit unnatural):
Starling Murmur
Cotic FlareMax or Jeht
Orange Stage Evo or Stage 6 Evo
Marino (from Peru)

I´m in a similar situation after a test ride of an Orange Stage 6 Evo (150/140 travel) a friend put me on after I complained that the trails here are quite sketchy to ride on my current "modern" bike, a 2013 Santa Cruz Superlight (120/100 travel). While the bike´s travel and geometry certainly also made a difference, it was clear that the wheel size (29", 2.4) was most noticable for me. The level of grip and the ability to roll over much more stuff than the 26er were quite a revelation. Trails where I jackhammered before with clenched teeth were suddenly enjoyable.

I can only echo what benjabbi said: test ride before you decide. And I mean not only bikes you´d consider purchasing, but really anything modern (long reach, short stem, slack head angle, steep seat angle) to get a feel for what you really want/need. I mean (up to) 5k is a not insignificant purchase, so I´d want to make sure that what I get is exactly what I want. I thought before the Orange would be a slug with nearly 15kg, except it wasn´t that big of a deal. The question for me right now is if I really need 140mm travel in the rear. Trails around where I live are not that demanding so to really use such a bike I have to load it in the car and drive 30-50km. OTOH, that ´s what I do with the Santa Cruz also. Around my house I prefer to ride my retro bikes.

Lastly, bikes I am considering are mostly british and single pivot (I found linkage suspension to feel a bit unnatural):
Starling Murmur
Cotic FlareMax or Jeht
Orange Stage Evo or Stage 6 Evo
Marino (from Peru)

I’ve looked at Starling and Cotic and have also looked a little at Marino, on Instagram.

Because I’ve never had rear suspension and never really thought about it I don’t really know about the types and pros/cons of them!

You don't want to be over biked certainly.
The Starling bikes look great too, cheaper, but still quality, travel options too, which is good.

Yes, agree with you, and @wynne, on that. I’m conscious not to get something with stupid amounts of travel, and coming from only ever riding rigid frames, stupid doesn’t mean 200mm! I think 120-130mm of rear travel would suit my needs just fine

If it must be steel, then Flaremax Downcountry XT build. It comes a few hundred over budget but you’ll have a warranty and is well spec’d.

If you are a bit more open, then Santa Cruz has some stunning deals on 5010s at the moment.

You are probably borderline size for full 29er but don’t waste your time with full 27.5. Mullet/MX or whatever term they are usually this week would be perfect. 29 up front really makes a difference in what the front will roll over. I’m pretty sure either will work.

Be careful of demo days. Most give you an hour slot which isn’t enough to get comfy on a new bike if you’ve only ever ridden retro. Ones with longer slots are much better.

Don’t get hung up on suspension design, most work perfectly these days. Just different ways of doing the same thing. Modern shock tunes have done wonders.

Be prepared to give things time, anything modern will feel very odd to you.

Latest posts

Back