I've bought it, now what is it?

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I just bought this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280898528754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It was a bit of an impulse buy to be honest, it cropped up when I was looking for "Tange headset".

Seller doesn't know what it is either, but it looks like a Tange Prestige frame with fluted down tube and the frame looks to be of reasonable quality. It was the right size and I liked the along the top tube cable routing so I thought I'd take a chance.

I'm not overly keen on the colour and might have it re-painted if I like how it rides, but it looks as though there are very few chips and scratches, unlike my current frame, so it should protect it until I get around to that.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The rear canti hanger and dropouts look Marin-ish (around 1990), but the top tube cable routing doesn't. In those days Marin did not put their name on the dropouts.

Any sign of old cable stops on the down tube (slight file marks or bumps?)

it looks very reminiscent of my old Orange Clockwork with the cable guides along the top of the top tube :?:

I've got a Marin, and the rear drop outs are wrong. Never seen a Marin frame with 2 sets of mudguard/rack bosses.

xerxes":2olaa7wd said:
I've got a Marin, and the rear drop outs are wrong. Never seen a Marin frame with 2 sets of mudguard/rack bosses.

Didn't Orange allways have wishbone rear stays?

xerxes":11bx03fm said:
xerxes":11bx03fm said:

Didn't Orange allways have wishbone rear stays?

yep, they did, good point, hmmmm :D

The seller is RobAtkin on here. It was up for sale on the forum recently.
I don't think it was ever properly indentified.

Its fairly weighty from my recollection of handling it at the Leigh Hill ride - alignment was interesting too!

Think I used "Drunken Albainian" and "welds" in the same sentance .... apologies :oops:

Its fairly weighty from my recollection of handling it at the Leigh Hill ride - alignment was interesting too!

Think I used "Drunken Albainian" and "welds" in the same sentance .... apologies

If "interesting alignment" means bent, then I won't be happy, he should have stated that in the ad. :shock:

I though the look of the welds might be exagerated by the semi transparent paint.

xerxes":26dxi9tf said:

Good point! My Palisades has an extra set I brazed on and forgot... :oops:

I agree that the welds look messy - certainly untidier than my Marin.

Back