I wouldn't buy a electric car from

Re:

That is priceless, Allen.

Another spectacular own-goal from those who seek to incentivise us into saving 'the planet', or 'the economy', or whatever the hell it is we are supposed to be saving..

It baffles me that people seem to think we can technologise our way out of a cul-de-sac. If we're in a cul-de-sac, we'd better stop, retrace our steps, and get out the same way we got in... if we want to. But if we are not going to, then we could at least stop deluding ourselves.

I like to think about horsepower: A useful mental excercise is to work out how much horsepower we've got sitting outside, and then imagine being responsible instead for that actual number of horses, because there really isn't any diistinction- The amount of trouble one would cause by trying to keep fifty horses on fifty square metres of suburban
garden is exactly commensurate with the trouble caused by parking a fifty horsepower metal box- powered by whatever- on the same plot instead. That trouble is just geographically redistributed in such a way that we can pretend it's not our problem, or doesn't exist at all.

Re: Re:

torqueless":2lxggv99 said:
That is priceless, Allen.

Another spectacular own-goal from those who seek to incentivise us into saving 'the planet', or 'the economy', or whatever the hell it is we are supposed to be saving..

It baffles me that people seem to think we can technologise our way out of a cul-de-sac. If we're in a cul-de-sac, we'd better stop, retrace our steps, and get out the same way we got in... if we want to. But if we are not going to, then we could at least stop deluding ourselves.

I like to think about horsepower: A useful mental excercise is to work out how much horsepower we've got sitting outside, and then imagine being responsible instead for that actual number of horses, because there really isn't any diistinction- The amount of trouble one would cause by trying to keep fifty horses on fifty square metres of suburban
garden is exactly commensurate with the trouble caused by parking a fifty horsepower metal box- powered by whatever- on the same plot instead. That trouble is just geographically redistributed in such a way that we can pretend it's not our problem, or doesn't exist at all.
Its typical government kneejerk derived PR panic. Prior to April of this year the exact same Tesla Model 3 would have cost me personally somewhere around £650 a month in company car tax and at this cost the government were mildly confused when very few people were inclined to take the risk on an expensive electric car as a company vehicle, the fact the average petrol or diesel 3 series BMW would have cost the same company car driver between £300 or £400 a month was a no brainer to all but the most ecologically or image driven and more than a tad obvious.

So the government then panics and along with the media thinks no ones taking electric cars as company cars because they are worried about everything except tax and thinks I know no ones taking them so we'll drop the taxable rate, it won't cost us a lot because no ones taking the things but from a PR perspective we'll look bloody great, queue the most electric cars registered ever. As I say just a little obvious really because actually that high tax cost was the main barrier for a lot of company car drivers and nothing else.

My choice of company car has always been driven by the amount of company car tax it costs me to live with said vehicle so had I not been a little more tax savvy than the average person I'd have been saving way more from the exchequer than the £220 a month I am currently, and its not as if my previous two company cars didn't have green credentials as the first was a Toyota Auris Hybrid (hateful thing) and then a BMW 330e plug in Hybrid (nice thing).

As to the ecology of it all as I say I've not got too much of a view either way as I think we are just tinkering around at the edges and I think Covid 19 has by accident done more for the environment than any government.

The genie has been out of the bottle there for a very long time so humanity isn't going to change course in a hurry now but if pushed would think a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle to be more ecologically sound. But just for fun there is a little "my other cars a V8" script on the back of my Tesla and absolutely vast as the thing is I have a feeling the cost to the planet of my time of ownership of my big V8 petrol but surprisingly efficient and effectively recycled BMW will actually be less than that of my time of ownership of my Tesla.

legrandefromage":2vzgvnlo said:
EV's the new landfill

Some poor Canadian wanted to get a new battery installed for his Nissan Leaf and Nissan wanted around $15,000 Ca, which was substantially more than the vehicle cost 2nd hand or its current worth.

https://thenextweb.com/shift/2020/10/30 ... f-battery/

New Zealand:

https://insideevs.com/news/453771/recor ... -pack-fix/
I am in no way surprised but also feel I should be looking into the possible profits in recycling used electric car batteries.

I'd like to think Greta Thunberg would be a big supporter of Retrobike. I also imagine she'd strongly oppose the use of child labour.

fiendish feet":2f01tokn said:
adroitstif":2f01tokn said:
I'd like to think Greta Thunberg would be a big supporter of Retrobike. I also imagine she'd strongly oppose the use of child labour.

Greta Thunbergs Great Grandfather turns out to be the inventor of the Green House effect and Population
reduction through eugenics
https://blogfactory.co.uk/2020/04/21/gr ... -eugenics/

Further links make for disturbing reading :shock:

Anyone purchasing an electric vehicle is a guinea pig. Perfect for retired types with more money than sense.

If your money is hard-earned, save it & certainly don't waste it on an electric vehicle (company car/tax savers excluded), but for the sensible among us it's pretty clear that the cars & the infrastructure have a great deal of development still to happen & some years yet before they will become generally accepted. The day someone makes an EV that works & can fit in well to society, we'll know about it, because every one will want one.

Latest posts

Back