Guess the wages......

greenstiles":34okoyb5 said:
Yes the company is private...with one of those tacky names, that make them sound more like an industrial cleaning company than carers.

It's not AALPS just outside Worcester is it? Reason I ask is because I thought you lived up that way...

That sector requires lots of staff doing hands on work, it cant operate with a few staff but if commercial needs to make a profit. Thus the wages will remain low and there is nothing that can be done. If legislation forced the wages up, staff would be cut and service badly damaged thus company folds. Charities have little cash and thus also cant pay high wages.
My girlfriend works for a charity dealing with drug rehab as an administrator, she thinks her present wage of £16k is good which possibly suggests the standard is bad :shock:
I worked as a nurse assistant for many years but got fed up of pay and conditions. They say care work is a vocation, to put up with the wages for long periods of time means it really needs to be or you won't last :(

Infuriates me seeing the range of wages people take for doing such a difficult caring job compared to the wages of bankers / 'social media executives' etc.

OK, 16,000 pounds, and I have to be an HCA, O/T technician, Physio technician, part social worker, and part carer. Highly skilled work assessing patients in the community, and often telling G P's what to do. 16,000 realy doesn't cover it, but it is satisfying.

Circle of life - the NHS is under pressure to save money - care like this becomes privatised.

People complain about the standards but aren't willing to pay for it. Either through taxes or privately.

it IS wrong, but I can also see why it happens. Until the UK populous is happy to accept that the NHS IS the best way to go, and that approprite money should be plowed into it, I can't see this changing?

I work in a special need school , and care / residential staff get paid more than that .

Back