Rat Bike Build - GT Palomar

After viewing pics of the frame in the campfire I was sure it was ruined.

That came out exceptionally well. Great patina, the contrast of the welds sets it off, and the subtle logos…..dude, that’s a beauty!

After viewing pics of the frame in the campfire I was sure it was ruined.

That came out exceptionally well. Great patina, the contrast of the welds sets it off, and the subtle logos…..dude, that’s a beauty!
Thanks! There were moments whilst it was in the fire I thought I’d taken it too far. Particularly when the frame went completely black at one point. It was the sooty deposits from burning wood that did that. I wiped it down with a wet cloth after and it revealed some stunning colours and patination. So locked it in with clear coat. I think the matt decals finished it off nicely making the clear coat pop. Phew!

That is smashing!

Are you riding it in anger at the skatepark? If so, how do you get on with the long (well, compared to a dirt jumper!) seat tube?

I'm kind of tempted to build something like this for my local pump tracks / skateparks, but not sure the longer seat tube wouldn't scupper it a bit...

That is smashing!

Are you riding it in anger at the skatepark? If so, how do you get on with the long (well, compared to a dirt jumper!) seat tube?

I'm kind of tempted to build something like this for my local pump tracks / skateparks, but not sure the longer seat tube wouldn't scupper it a bit...
Yeah I had a bit of a rip on it at the park, to be honest I took it steady - as it was the first outing for the bike, it was wet and I was mainly making sure everything was solid and tight.

A couple of clips riding it here:

Naturally the seat/frame size is going to get in the way a bit compared to a DJ, trials bike or BMX. But the idea behind the build was something I could blast on some urban trails, but also hit some streets spots and parks en route.

v2.0 of the build will commence soon. Now I know I like the budget build, upgrades will include wheels, disc brakes and maybe a clutched rear mech 🤌🏻

Yeah I had a bit of a rip on it at the park, to be honest I took it steady - as it was the first outing for the bike, it was wet and I was mainly making sure everything was solid and tight.

Naturally the seat/frame size is going to get in the way a bit compared to a DJ, trials bike or BMX. But the idea behind the build was something I could blast on some urban trails, but also hit some streets spots and parks en route.

v2.0 of the build will commence soon. Now I know I like the budget build, upgrades will include wheels, disc brakes and maybe a clutched rear mech 🤌🏻
Brilliant, Bob is still on the ground bleeding though.....

If I could 180 & manual that clean I'd be dead chuffed, the extra couple of inches of seat tube doesn't look like it's holding you back!

Must be nice being and to ride around with the saddle at a decent height too.

Definitely the coolest build I've seen on here for a bit!

Back