Zaskar evolution.

JRGSXR

MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
More of an evolution thread than a build thread.
After buying building and selling two 16” (on the small side for me) Zaskars I finally found an 18” one that was in need of much love and attention. Slight issue though, I was in Scotland, the bike was in Bristol. It was on gumtree and hung around for a good few weeks, this turns out to be a result for me. Anyway, holiday time and guess where I’m going?……..Plymouth 😁. So after a few messages, around half way down the M6 (I was stationary having a coffee) I arranged to view it en route. Around 1/2 an hour from Bristol I pulled on my big boy pants and informed the better half that we would be making a small detour. This was around eight hours into a 10+ hour journey. I’ll let you all guess how that conversation went 😂😂😂. Less than an hour later guess what…. I’ve got a grumpy wife in the passenger seat and a Zaskar in the boot. Lucky I had a Volvo estate and needless to say the rest of the journey was quiet 😂. Anyway here it was as collected IMG_7490.png
Stay tuned for more!

I proceeded to enjoy my holiday, the better half started talking to me on about day 2 or 3. The Zaskar was stripped and stored in the boot till we got home a fortnight later. Out of sight, out of mind….. hers not mine 😂 More to follow, hard work typing on my phone!

Once home the frame was stripped bare, polished and new original decals were sourced from a really nice guy in California. I then proceeded to dump the junk, of which there was a fair bit. Then raid the shed for “better stuff” and set about assembling the bike. I wasn’t too fussed about what was being fitted as I’d always planned on this being a rider (as all my bikes are) and even labelled it as my beater bike. With this in mind I fitted components that were functional rather than pretty. With this in mind, here’s the “first” build IMG_7491.png IMG_7492.png IMG_7493.png IMG_7494.png
More to come.

So some time passed (probably a year or more), along with new builds and a few flipper bikes. I found myself in the position where I had enough stuff to rebuild the Zaskar and lift the spec a little. Had a bit of a hunt on eBay and purchased a few choice components that I though would suit the bike better. This is where I ended up, I’ll call this build 2, although in truth it’s constantly evolving. IMG_7495.png
Still more to come, if I’ve not bored you to tears yet? Please stick with it 😁.

As I’ve said before, this is a rider/beater. Be warned, some dirty pics will follow. IMG_7496.png IMG_7497.png IMG_7498.png
She’s been on a few Mac retro rides in the last year or so and gets dirty as seen above. Even managed to get some air at Kinnoull bike park which was fun. Don’t get too excited though it was only a little bit of air 😂. Ps…. Still more to come.

Recently after liberating a few parts from a bike or two that I’ve moved on or flipped. I again had the opportunity to lift the spec on the Zaskar. She is now nearing the bike I had in my mind all those years ago when I spotted her on gumtree. Hope you like the “finished” product. Yes I know I used the word finished, as I’ve said before this is a continually evolving project. There will be further changes. They may be soon or they may take years. You all know how it goes 😂. IMG_7499.png IMG_7500.png IMG_7501.png IMG_7502.png
Well that’s it for now folks. Only a build spec to follow, congrats on sticking with it. Many thanks J

Frame, 18” 97 GT Zaskar LE
Forks, Rockshox Duke race

Headset, DDG Roullette
Stem, GT cro mo
Stem spacers, Xlite
Bars, Alpinestars 6061
Grips, GT
Barends, Xlite

Brake levers, m739
Vees, m739
Pads, ?
Cables, Shimano

Shifters, m739
Front mech, m737
Rear mech, m739
Cassette, m737
Cranks, Middleburn
Chainrings, Middleburn
Chain, ?
BB, UN71
Pedals, Tioga Surefoot
Cables, Shimano

Rims, Mavic 517
Hubs, GT branded Hadleys (made in USA)
Spokes DT Swiss
Skewers, Hope
Tyres, Specilized Cannibal 2.2

Saddle, WTB Volt pro
Seat post, WTB 6061
Binder, GT
Bottle cage, Ringle
Bottle, GT

Weight, 12.1kg

As stated above….. this may (will) change.

Last edited:
Well worth stick on those big boy pants and getting it while you were already in the area.
Bike looks great and I like that you use it for what it was intended 👍🏻

Last edited:
I’ll need to check the next time I’m out on it, can’t remember if it’s a 95 or a 96? (Think it’s a 96) The decals aren’t correct as I wanted the black and white ones not the yellow/red that I believe are correct for the year. The ones in the as collected pic were wrong too. They were aftermarket printed on clear backgrounds. I’m aiming to swap the last few remaining blue parts out for black or silver and go for the monochrome look.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back