Winter gloves recommendations

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
For those that ride all year round in the UK I’m looking for some ideas on gloves.

I’ve always suffered cold hands and feet (even in normal temps) but this has got worse this year.

For the last few years I’ve been using Endura waterproof thermal gloves but I’m now at the stage that my fingers get cold after a hour when the temperature is 2-3 degrees.

Ideally need something that goes well below freezing, is waterproof and 5 finger.

Budget upto £100.

Not wanting heated gloves if I can help it.

Road bike biased please

There are no gloves that will actually work. I can get close with 3 pairs, liner, a waterproof and a wind proof, but even then, with poor circulation in both hands, I get cold hands on long rides. The only answer I've ever found was to stop more. Actually that's a lie, I had muffs on the motorbike, that worked. Never tried it on a bicycle though, there aren't the right shape for drops.

I'm the same, my core remains hot (i have to unzip down jackets) while my extremities are always cold.. if you touch my hands, even in the summer months when it's 30°+ they feel freezing cold.. a few years someone bought me these winter cycling gloves and i hated them..

..because the fingers feel too fat and long.. When i take my hands off the grips to apply the brakes, the fat fingers snag on the levers.. but y'know, you can't have insulated winter gloves without the insulation, it took months of riding with sausage fingers for them to mould and now they have, they're an essential part of my winter commute.. after 5yrs they're starting to get a bit threadbare, i'll be gutted when they start falling to pieces and have to go through tho whole rigmarole again.

I'm the same, my core remains hot (i have to unzip down jackets) while my extremities are always cold.. if you touch my hands, even in the summer months when it's 30°+ they feel freezing cold.. a few years someone bought me these winter cycling gloves and i hated them..

..because the fingers feel too fat and long.. When i take my hands off the grips to apply the brakes, the fat fingers snag on the levers.. but y'know, you can't have insulated winter gloves without the insulation, it took months of riding with sausage fingers for them to mould and now they have, they're an essential part of my winter commute.. after 5yrs they're starting to get a bit threadbare, i'll be gutted when they start falling to pieces and have to go through tho whole rigmarole again.

We sound similar for sure. My hands are quite often purple and cold when it’s decent enough weather outside. It’s got worse over the last year.

These are the ones I’ve been looking at mate. But I like also being able to use my fingers which puts me off.

My body is always too hot also once I get going also.

There are no gloves that will actually work. I can get close with 3 pairs, liner, a waterproof and a wind proof, but even then, with poor circulation in both hands, I get cold hands on long rides. The only answer I've ever found was to stop more. Actually that's a lie, I had muffs on the motorbike, that worked. Never tried it on a bicycle though, there aren't the right shape for drops.

Once I stop , I go cold and bonk I find. So now I simply don’t stop moving when winter riding.

Last week i got wet within the first 30 mins and by the time i got home a couple of hours later i actually thought I was gonna have to go A&E as my hands looked like they had died and were about to drop off.

It’s frustrating as all the glove manufacturers claim the world but in reality they aren’t that great.

No gloves will work if it's really bad or you have poor circulation. When it's really cold, I use British Army Arctic mittens, but these are also good as a glove:

Out of your price range, but I bought some practically new for £100. The key I've found for with cold feet and hands is to keep them moving. I give my toes a crunch/fingers wiggle/small brake squeeze on every pedal stroke until they warm up, and start again if they get cold again. Relaxing, deep breathing and visualising your fingers and toes warming up can also help.

No cycling gloves have worked for me, but I have used an amazing pair of snowboarding gloves made of some kind of 'armoured' wetsuit material for about 5 years. Warm, waterproof, just enough dexterity for brakes/levers.

They came from TKMaxx and are a weird brand, but I'm sure there are similar out there.

Edit. I've heard amazing things about window cleaners gloves too, seriously!

Last edited:
Not wanting heated gloves if I can help it.
I bought a pair of heated gloves and I love them. If you suffer from cold hands these do the trick. I have to open up the premises where I work which involves fiddly combination padlocks and there's nothing worse than trying to do that with frozen fingers.

These have 3 heat settings and the lower one is usually enough. One charge lasts me a week of commutes so that's at least 4-5 hours. They're lightweight and thin so you retain the ability to feel the bike and don't need to remove when doing fiddly shit.

I do not miss the defrost pains as my fingers thaw in heated buildings.

As with all the other replies, it is difficult to find something which actually works. I have Raynaud's syndrome which exacerbates the problem. The best brand I have found is Hestra https://www.hestragloves.uk/men and using a combo of a thermal glove with an additional thin liner.

20240114_092306.jpeg

I bought a pair of heated gloves and I love them. If you suffer from cold hands these do the trick. I have to open up the premises where I work which involves fiddly combination padlocks and there's nothing worse than trying to do that with frozen fingers.

These have 3 heat settings and the lower one is usually enough. One charge lasts me a week of commutes so that's at least 4-5 hours. They're lightweight and thin so you retain the ability to feel the bike and don't need to remove when doing fiddly shit.

I do not miss the defrost pains as my fingers thaw in heated buildings.

Luckily my riding is all pleasure and once home I can get warm (hopefully)

Reason for not wanting heated gloves is purely because I feel this issue is going to get worse and I want to have a fall back plan once they get worse. As I tend to believe you get used to whatever you use (if that makes sense)

Plus remembering to charge them is another thing to do.

Latest posts

Back