Hei hei - back from the dead !

Creakiknees

Dirt Disciple
After being thrashed into the ground (over 30k miles....) it was dismantled around 2009 /10 . The fork was serviced by Tim (Fork English) and....was never reassembled .
Until three weeks ago .
I had the foresight to stash a new XT cassette and a couple of Dura-Ace chains twenty years ago , i just had to find where i had put them (back of my mother's shed - amazingly, not "tidied" into the bin , as she was wont to do ) .
The XTR v brakes were shot so were replaced . The rest it pretty much as it was when last ridden - only clean and not knackered 😃
I've been using a Cindercone as my day to day bike for about 12 years , albeit with Middleburn/Easton/Thompson/Hope/XT bits and it's been great but i had totally forgotten the magic carpet feel of the Hei Hei . I loved every metre i rode on this through sun , rain , snow , mud and darkness . It cost me 10 weeks wages but never once let me down or disappointed . I love my bike 🤗

Attachments

• 20230906_132350.jpg
    20230906_132350.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230906_132400.jpg
    20230906_132400.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230902_204001.jpg
    20230902_204001.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 67
Great resurrection!

@al-onestare maintains the Kona registers so you could message him (or he might be along soon).

How bad were the XTR V's? Quite easy to service the pivot bearings and shim the pivots if that is the problem?

Great resurrection!

@al-onestare maintains the Kona registers so you could message him (or he might be along soon).

How bad were the XTR V's? Quite easy to service the pivot bearings and shim the pivots if that is the problem?
My first conversation on here ! I couldn't figure out how to message him...duh ...😃
The XTRs were seized up - i never maintained them and they went through 7 winters ....maybe they are retrievable but i can't be bothered . I was going to put them on the bay of evil with a 99p start but I'm open to offers ...

My first conversation on here ! I couldn't figure out how to message him...duh ...😃
The XTRs were seized up - i never maintained them and they went through 7 winters ....maybe they are retrievable but i can't be bothered . I was going to put them on the bay of evil with a 99p start but I'm open to offers ...
You'll be able to start a conversation after posting five messages so anytime now I guess.

You could post the XTR's for sale on here or share the eBay link if that's the best way for you.

You'll be able to start a conversation after posting five messages so anytime now I guess.

You could post the XTR's for sale on here or share the eBay link if that's the best way for you.
Excellent. I haven't listed them yet but I've seen they go alright . Something i discovered when i was looking for my chain and cassette that actually puzzled me was an unused , never-been-laced XTR front hub . I have no idea how i came to have it - i always rode XT or Hope after my initial problems with Kona's crappy stock wheels . I suppose i must have had a plan for it ....😃

Excellent. I haven't listed them yet but I've seen they go alright . Something i discovered when i was looking for my chain and cassette that actually puzzled me was an unused , never-been-laced XTR front hub . I have no idea how i came to have it - i always rode XT or Hope after my initial problems with Kona's crappy stock wheels . I suppose i must have had a plan for it ....😃

I'm sure a new XTR hub would sell very easily if you don't have a use for it.
Better not disclose where your mum's shed is though - sounds like a treasure trove! 😁

Back