GT Avalanche 1998 Frame with New Build

marcus_5

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, just finished a new build for my old GT Avalanche frame that I had sitting in the shed. Mix of second hand parts and new bits.

Does anyone know why this colour is so rare? I was told by my friend who I bought it from (who bought it new) that it was 1 of 3 of these gold frames in Australia. Does anyone know the story here??

Let me know what you think.

Fox 100RL 2006 model
DT Swiss Cerit Hubs
Mavic 819 Disc rims
Deore cranks 2x10 40-28t
SRAM Chain and Cassette 11-32
XTR Rear derailleur mid cage (just has sufficient range to cover the tooth numbers above)
XT Front derailleur
Deore Discs, with A2Z DM-Uni converter for the rear disc mount (only had V-Brake mounts)
XT Rotors, 180mm front / 160mm rear
Selle Italia X1 saddle - UPDATED Now a Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow
Easton EC70 SL carbon bars
Thompson X4 70mm stem
Chris King headset (in matching gold... this was a bit of guesswork on the colour, I think it paid off!)
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.2 tyres

Attachments

• gt_2.jpg
    gt_2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3,761
  • gt_1.jpg
    gt_1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,764
Looks smart. Headset and seapost clamp usually are in contrasting colour to frame but gold works here.

Re:

Actually the seatpost clamp is integrated- so painted with the frame- is this unusual? The headset was a bit of a risk, but I found a cheap used Chris King in good condition, so thought Id risk it.

Re:

True, I haven't cut them- same for the front one. I don't have a bleed kit so I cant chop them yet. Might go to the LBS.
Rides just as I remember- stiff, with good balance front to rear. Just a bit slacker than it originally was as its a 100mm fork vs the 75mm Z2 that it came with from the factory. Just means a little hop when doing tight switchback climbs

Re:

Anymore pics of this? Really like the colour!

You should remove the brake bosses you can get blanking bolts i did after using an a2z on my frame.

Kyle

Hello mate, lovely build there! A good mate of mine has the same frame, he bought it new as 'last seasons colour' about 15 or so years ago from one of the shops in mbuk magazine - before online ordering! op (may have been leisure lakes or sunset mtb) From what I remember he got it at a good price, under £150 or around that mark, it's still sat in his garage now, half built and probably covered in mud and dust knowing him! I'll show him yours and maybe it will persuade him to sort his one out!

As for shortening hoses - it's nice and easy with these brakes as long as you have the olives? You can simply just unscrew the nut on the brake lever, cut it to the desired length then pop it back in with the new olive and do the nut back up, no need to bleed them, what ever you do though, DONT pull the brake lever when the hose is out otherwise you will squirt brake fluid all over the place and then they will need bleeding, if you look on YouTube there are a few videos on how to do it, it literally takes 2 minutes :)

...it may not be called an olive, may be something else! It's just the little bit that goes on the end of the hose!

Re:

Cheers guys:).

I'm really happy with the way this build rides, taken it on a few trails and it goes well. I'll clean it up and see if i can get a few more pics for you, after I've had a go of finishing those brake lines.

Re:

Hi guys, just took this rig for a cruise on the weekend. Unfortunately the trails sucked, but was once again happy with the bike. Haven't got around to resolving the brake line issue, but will soon.

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2334_2.jpg
    IMG_2334_2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 3,072
  • IMG_2335_2.jpg
    IMG_2335_2.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 3,073
  • IMG_2336_2.jpg
    IMG_2336_2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,070
  • IMG_2337_2.jpg